Installing a aftermarket Remote Oil Kit 5.0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What a horrible site! Can't read anything unless I sign up! Not very friendly!

Chris..

Chris, this is just recent as in maybe January. My guess is the funds needed to keep the site operational? there literally is thousands of articles on building SBC and BBC motors in the threads. Detailed info on the oiling systems, improvements, etc.

either way, a Melling MFA350 adapter has a higher pressure bypass valve for SBC's for remote oil filters. available at nearly all automotive stores for about $16

This is the best site for looking up filters by dimensions http://www.wixfilters.com/lookup/filterlookup.aspx

Davidsgara

Seaman
One more question if I may ?

Do I need to drain all the oil from the engine prior to removing the oil filter?

only asking because I only replaced oil and filter a few weeks ago.

Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I suggest you look up filters by dimensions on the Wix site

The 13/16-16 thread hasnt been used in decades by GM. You will need to look up filter by dimensions to get the part number

I stand corrected, the GM is 13/16, most of the aftermarket remote oil heads us the 3/4-16 thread which GM hasnt used in years. your stock oil filter can be used, however I would get a larger filter (more media) since your running a remote head

use this site to check your filter, you will need a filter with an anti-drainback valve when you use a remote filter head so you dont have a dry start. http://www.wixfilters.com/lookup/filterlookup.aspx

Davidsgara

Seaman
Melling MFA 350 Bypass kicks in between 9-11 PSI

Attachments

• photo308041.png
    photo308041.png
    575.1 KB · Views: 0

Davidsgara

Seaman
Does the OEM remote filter bolt onto the bracket on the Port side ? Adjacent to the Oil Reservoir ?

Thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Most of the remote kits are set up to use the front 2 screws on the port exhaust elbow.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Just make sure you don't get the hoses mixed up. When I bought my boat, I had the Dealer install the VP remote Oil Filter System on it. Late in the second season of ownership the engine started sounding like it had Mechanical Lifters. I had been out a couple of hours that day and I happen to touch the Oil Filter and it was cold. Took it to the Dealer and told them what I found, and suspected, that the oil hoses were swapped. Next Day I stopped by and was told I was correct. Those Anti-Drainback/Check Valves in the filter worked like they were intended and closed. Engine had 100 hrs on it, none of it with filtered oil, as the Bypass worked as intended and provided oil, unfiltered. Engine was removed and tore apart. All Bearings were shot, Cam lobes pitted, Crank throws worn, pistons, some wear, Rings were shot. A complete New long Block was ordered from VP and I had to go through the Break-in the next season. Dealer ate the cost

Davidsgara

Seaman
Thanks for the advice I will definitely ensure that I get the orientation correct.

I’m sure the oil pumped into the outer holes of the filter through the media and then out the center hole.

Hopefully the OEM remote filter kit is marked with the flow orientation.