5.0 mpi mercruiser

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
You only need a vessel view mobile to read the faults and also gather accurate engine data readouts.
I had the same 2 beeps at these intervals. The vessel view system told me instantly it was the IAC that was at fault.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Vessel-view is good for some, not all....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Vessel-view is good for some, not all....

Suppose Chris. Many have different opinions. For me and for the really low cost...I can’t see the harm in having one.
Tells you all faults showing. Fuel consumption in accuracy that’s un disputed. Exact rpm. Excellent for setting up the prop and optimising. So many features and superb for accurately getting best cruise speed and an idea of range etc. It’s been amazing for me.

achris

Suppose Chris. Many have different opinions. For me and for the really low cost...I can’t see the harm in having one.
Tells you all faults showing. Fuel consumption in accuracy that’s un disputed. Exact rpm. Excellent for setting up the prop and optimising. So many features and superb for accurately getting best cruise speed and an idea of range etc. It’s been amazing for me.

That's all great, for setting up and checking an existing, running installation. But when you're fault-finding, being able to see each sensor output in real-time is irreplaceable. You just can't fault-find properly without that information. Not only that, the diagnostic software enables you to record live data, save it and send it to a friend to help analyse (ah tpenfield :D)... You can download the programmed parameters, including set idle speeds and TPS positions, things like this become more and more important the deeper into the fault-finding process you go. You can also save each time you dump a file, making it very easy to compare and see trends. I do a ECU dump on each MPI engine I service, and I am able to keep a track of what each engine is doing... If a problem does occur, I can look back and see if there was an indication of it about to happen, or better still, see a possible problem and 'head it off as the pass'...

I've looked at the VesselView software, and I can't see anywhere that is will show the sort of data I see on the laptop. Yes, having the mobile phone with some of the parameters and run conditions displayed is nice, but the laptop will trump it everyday.... Especially in a diagnostic environment.

Chris.......

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
That's all great, for setting up and checking an existing, running installation. But when you're fault-finding, being able to see each sensor output in real-time is irreplaceable. You just can't fault-find properly without that information. Not only that, the diagnostic software enables you to record live data, save it and send it to a friend to help analyse (ah tpenfield :D)... You can download the programmed parameters, including set idle speeds and TPS positions, things like this become more and more important the deeper into the fault-finding process you go. You can also save each time you dump a file, making it very easy to compare and see trends. I do a ECU dump on each MPI engine I service, and I am able to keep a track of what each engine is doing... If a problem does occur, I can look back and see if there was an indication of it about to happen, or better still, see a possible problem and 'head it off as the pass'...

I've looked at the VesselView software, and I can't see anywhere that is will show the sort of data I see on the laptop. Yes, having the mobile phone with some of the parameters and run conditions displayed is nice, but the laptop will trump it everyday.... Especially in a diagnostic environment.

Chris.......

Ok Chris. Bit remember this is a couple of hundred dollars if even that over there. Not the thousands of a proper kit like you describe.
It tells you where to look for the fault at least. Jeez. Just no helping with some people it seems. Surely you’ll admit it’s a good start, if all anyone wants to know is what the fault is. Well worth it in my opinion. It’s the difference between not knowing and knowing what family your engine has. Surely that’s useful on its own.

achris

Ok Chris. But remember this is a couple of hundred dollars if even that over there. Not the thousands of a proper kit like you describe.

Nope, less than $700

It tells you where to look for the fault at least.

Why pay a few hundred dollars for something that will only do half the job. Especially if you will eventually be trying to use it to find a fault, and then you'll need to buy the full function tool anyway?

Jeez. Just no helping with some people it seems.

I'm just going to point a mirror at this comment. You seem intent on telling someone to just buy the cheapest, and hope it works. I'm trying to say, save money, buy the right tool from the get-go.

Surely you’ll admit it’s a good start, if all anyone wants to know is what the fault is. Well worth it in my opinion. It’s the difference between not knowing and knowing what family your engine has. Surely that’s useful on its own.

Nope, not in the slightest. Say you buy a 0-80lb-ft torque wrench knowing that maybe some day you'll be opening up the drive? Yes, 0-80lb-ft will get MOST jobs done, but come the day (and the day WILL come), you're going to have to buy a 0-200lb-ft, then the money you spent on the 0-80 will be a complete waste.... Spend a bit more money up front, save way more in the long-run....

Chris..........

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Nope, less than $700

Why pay a few hundred dollars for something that will only do half the job. Especially if you will eventually be trying to use it to find a fault, and then you'll need to buy the full function tool anyway?

I'm just going to point a mirror at this comment. You seem intent on telling someone to just buy the cheapest, and hope it works. I'm trying to say, save money, buy the right tool from the get-go.

Nope, not in the slightest. Say you buy a 0-80lb-ft torque wrench knowing that maybe some day you'll be opening up the drive? Yes, 0-80lb-ft will get MOST jobs done, but come the day (and the day WILL come), you're going to have to buy a 0-200lb-ft, then the money you spent on the 0-80 will be a complete waste.... Spend a bit more money up front, save way more in the long-run....

Chris..........

Chris. Honestly I think you are missing my point. I nearly didn’t even reply, but thought I had to.
For most people the vessel view would be enough. It tells you the fault. A fine example would be with my own boat. I had the dash beep at me. In an instant after, the vessel view told me it was the IAC. Replaced it. Job done.
Last year the engine misfired. The vessel view told me on what cylinders but more importantly the cause of it being the shift interrupt switch.
I didn’t need the rinda or what ever it is for that. Most wont.
Most wont need such a thing. I can understand guys like you having it or a tradesman but for the average joe....surely not.
On top of all that, the vessel view acts as a second and more accurate instrument cluster in digital form. Bringing these engines right into the modern age.
Who can argue with that ?
i was just trying to help the guy. Although I hugely respect you opinion and knowledge....sometimes I’m on the edge of also thinking you maybe just like to go against the grain, haha.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Just to add. You wouldn’t cruise about on a weekend with the rinda plugged into the engine.
You do with the vessel view. It’s wireless and just displays in any form you like on your phone or tablet. Amazing wee thing.

alldodge

Staff member
This is a forum, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

My opinion is there is no one that post here is not without errors, my self way more then I can count, or want to :facepalm:

Having something that tells you something is better then having nothing at all. Even the good stuff is not without flaws. The same good stuff that cost more does not always tell the user nor the expert what the problem is.

I like the idea of just let everyone voice their opinion, and let the folks figure out what's best for them, and the only inless is if something is said that will cause harm or major issue