5.0 mpi mercruiser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.0 mpi mercruiser

Hello all, I have a 2006 Tahoe deck boat with a 5.0 mpi mercruiser. My issue is I get a 2 beep alarm every few minutes or so and some times when I give it throttle the boat will shut completely off. It starts right back up and idles with no issues. Only when I give it throttle will it shut off. It does it all all different rpms. Whether it’s 1500 rpm or 4000. All of my fluids are full. Any thoughts?

What is the motor serial number?
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 Seadoo GTX
    Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Probably a 0W motor and that alarm could be many things. Most common being the water pressure sensor. Really need to get it read for faults.
      1999 Powerquest 260 legend
      502 mpi
      B1

Comment

0W344593. I had my mechanic replace the block in it 2 years ago because the guy I bought it from never Winterized it and it cracked. He said he replaced it with a 5.7 not sure if that will make a difference. I’ve taken it back to him twice since then because I’ve had this same issue. But apparently he can’t seem to fix it.

Comment

That will make a difference, 5.7 has a different ECM. What fault codes are coming up ?
          1999 Powerquest 260 legend
          502 mpi
          B1

Comment

Honestly I’m not even sure. I tried explaining it to him I told him exactly what’s goin on. First time he thought it was my injectors. That wasn’t the case. 2nd time I found water spraying out behind my starter so he replaced a cracked plastic piece that was allowing water out when I put a load under it. Then I noticed on the starboard side at the bottom of the bilge area there was some type of oil housing, not sure if it’s my gear lube or what, anyways there is 2 brass lines that come out of it and they were so loose that they were almost disconnected l. So I tightened them and it ran without fault for a full day or so. But now I’m getting that alarm again and the boat shuts down. Just trying to see if maybe I can replace some sensors to fix it.

Comment

0W344593
              Thanks, you have a 555 ECM and as mentioned by scoflaw, it can be several things. Killing the motor I would look for a bad connection on the 5V circuit and ignition. Best to get the codes read

replaced it with a 5.7
              That can cause the motor to run lean if it was not reprogramed

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	10704698Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.JPG
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	10704699Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.JPG
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	10704700 ​​​​​​​
              07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

Thank you for the info. That makes sense because I could swear that there was a power restriction. I could feel it when I was running the boat. Sometimes it would take a really long time to get it to plane out. Other times it ran great. Also, I was only getting about 4200 rpm at full throttle. Not sure if that’s normal. I figured it should be around 4600. I’ll get the codes read and go from there.

Comment

Also, I need to replace my fuel pump relay. Any idea on a part number or can I just get on amazon and find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo8 View Post
                    Also, I need to replace my fuel pump relay. Any idea on a part number or can I just get on amazon and find one.
                    The part number is 86-865202T and can find on line, but could also go in a local auto parts store or GM dealer and lay on the counter, they should be able to have one on hand
                    07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

Awesome thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo8 View Post
                        Thank you for the info. That makes sense because I could swear that there was a power restriction. I could feel it when I was running the boat. Sometimes it would take a really long time to get it to plane out. Other times it ran great. Also, I was only getting about 4200 rpm at full throttle. Not sure if that’s normal. I figured it should be around 4600. I’ll get the codes read and go from there.
                        You should have a 4600 to 5000 rpm WOT. If you have not had the prop or the drive changed then you should be over reving the motor. Only seeing 4200 and a new motor, things are not right. Start by checking fuel pressure at the rail, it should be 43 psi at 1800 rpm.

Since your mechanic does not have a scanner, its time to find a new mechanic

EDIT: fuel pressure should stay close to 43 psi for the entire rpm band
                        07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

Originally posted by AllDodge View Post
                          ...Since your mechanic does not have a scanner, its time to find a new mechanic...
                          This is the most important statement of this thread.

You can not work on injected engines without the right tools. No scanner, you're just guessing.

Chris.
                          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                          The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
                          1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
                          2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
                          (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

You are correct, I have another mechanic I’m gonna take it to. Problem is he is over 2 hours from where I live. That’s the closest one to me besides the one I used to use. That’s why I was trying to see if it was a simple ish fix. Maybe I’ll just buy a scanner.

Comment

Maybe I’ll just buy a scanner.
                              With an MPI motor you need one

http://www.rinda.com/marine/marinemenu.htm
                              07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

Working...
                              X