Bellows replacement

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok getting ready to do bellows trim senders and lower shift cable. What do you guys use to run up the shift cable before you pull it for a guide. I was thinking weed eater string I guess. Also my gauge nor my trim limit works. I bought new senders. If I take my trim limit wires and hook together then my trim limit switch should work right. It's just a switch. Also my trim gauge sender just goes to ground right. So if I ground that wire my gauge should move. First time messing with senders so tips and advice needed

harringtondav

Commander
Any small cord or heavy twine will work as a fish line for pulling the new cable back in. Weed eater line is fine, as long as you can tie it tight on the cables.

I'm not following your question about the trim/limit senders. Trace down their current wires inside your boat. They come into the transom plate above the engine coupler shaft. There is pair for both trim limit and trim position. There is normally only one way to connect them to the harness. So start with this with your new sender/switch and everything should work fine.

You can bypass the trim limit switch by jumping the two harness connectors. But why if you have the new one? You can get your outdrive into trouble fast if you power up with the drive above it's trim range.

thumpar

Admiral
Since you are doing the bellows anyway I would just replace the trim switch and sender.

wrench 3

Commander
I have a length of mechanics wire with part of an old sleeve from the front of a cable attached to it. I just screw it into the cable and pull it through.
If you want to test the gauge, ground the brown wire with a white tracer coming out of the engine harness.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
...If I take my trim limit wires and hook together then my trim limit switch should work right. It's just a switch.
I assume you are wanting to test to make sure it is the senders that are the problem, and that everything else is working... So, yes, where the limit switch wires would connect to the trim pump harness, just jump them together and the trim UP switch should work (all the way to full UP).

Also my trim gauge sender just goes to ground right. So if I ground that wire my gauge should move. ...

Yep, just touch the brown/white wire in the engine harness to ground and the gauge should pin to full DOWN...

Here is a wiring diagram of the trim pump harness that may make things clearer.

powertrim.PNG

makeitnew

Cadet
I assume you are wanting to test to make sure it is the senders that are the problem, and that everything else is working... So, yes, where the limit switch wires would connect to the trim pump harness, just jump them together and the trim UP switch should work (all the way to full UP).

Yep, just touch the brown/white wire in the engine harness to ground and the gauge should pin to full DOWN...

Here is a wiring diagram of the trim pump harness that may make things clearer.

Thanks achris!

I've been looking for a wire diagram for the trim system for quite some time and this is the first I've run across with wire colors that match what I have. It's a project boat and of course over time the wiring has been hacked. The tilt and trim senders were gone which likely caused the issue with the bellows being torn off. Most of the wiring was spliced together with household wire nuts which says a lot about how this was taken care of. Thanks again.

achris

No problem. That was originally a black and white diagram, but I coloured it using 'Paint'. I also added the trim gauge sender into the drawing, for clarity. I also have one that includes the transom mounted trim switch and its connectors...

Chris..........

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update. Got all my new parts in. Updated the shift shaft bushings to new style. Test fit bellows onto bellhousing. Question though is this the correct orientation for the clamp on bellhousing. Also what is the clamp placement for water pickup hose. Cant find it in manual. Forgot to look before dissasembly

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Also my gameplan for this job is to attach driveshaft bellows to bellhousing. Then attach shift cables bellows to transom side. Then go out to boat and attach water hose to bellhousing then slide on and attach driveshaft bellows to transom side then Install hinge pins then attach exhaust bellows. Does this sound right. Also cut water hose to exactly 13 inches

achris

With a Gen I, I attach as you have suggested, but with the Gen II, working past the locking ring at the bell housing end presents a significant danger. The edge of the lock ring is SHARP, and cutting you hands and wrists cut quite deeply is a virtual guarantee. I put the gimbal housing end on, then present the bell housing and lock that end in. I even find just trying to replace or even clean, a gimbal bearing will result in some first aid requirements.

Chris.........

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
With a Gen I, I attach as you have suggested, but with the Gen II, working past the locking ring at the bell housing end presents a significant danger. The edge of the lock ring is SHARP, and cutting you hands and wrists cut quite deeply is a virtual guarantee. I put the gimbal housing end on, then present the bell housing and lock that end in. I even find just trying to replace or even clean, a gimbal bearing will result in some first aid requirements.

Chris.........

Ok I have a gen 1 good deal then. Clamp look in the right place chris. How about clamp for waterhose. Also its 38 degrees right now out so I'm going to have to find a way to heat transom up for adhesive to cure

kenny nunez

Captain
Water hose trick. Get a wire coat hanger, straighten it out then make a small 180* bend on one end. This is the way to keep the clamp from rotating away while trying to tighten it by hooking around the front facing end of the clamp. The best tool to work with those clamps is a 1/4” drive 5/16” universal socket along with a long extension. If you put a small amount of liquid soap inside the hose that will help to push it on the nipple.

thumpar

Admiral
What I did for the hose was to have a pot of boiling water going on the stove. Get everything ready to put on. Hold the end of the hose in the water for a minute and then put it in place. It slid right on for me.

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update. Got u joint bellows glued and clamped to bellhousing. How does it look. The clamp wants to ride up a little on bellow where the stainless anode thing is but I believe it will be alright 20190222_012545-756x1008.jpg20190222_012632-756x1008.jpg

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update got gimbal bearing installed. Marked grease hole with a line on housing. Turned outer collar on bearing to line up with grease hole and marked it lined up lines and drove in. It takes grease so I guess I did it right. At first it didnt wanna take grease but then it started going. Seems like the last one I did did that too. Is that common ?

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Question. Can I put bellhousing on then connect hose to bellhousing. Or do i have to connect hose then install bell housing