Filters for 350 mpi motor

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Fuel water seperator

I getting my filters together for spring tune up....I'm looking at my parts list from previous years...it looks like I had ordered a OEM fuel water separator for the motor...and a siera 18-7845 for the genny....now it looks like the oem is no longer available and says to use the siera which happens to be the same filter my notes say I ordered for the genny...that possible? I suppose if Rinker was put the genny in and they already use the same for the motor that would make sense....? I'm not near the boat to check. Guess it can't hurt to order the two of them, If I can't use it this year I can use it next year...

Bondo

Staff member
for the motor.

Ayuh,.... To save everybody havin' to dig through yer other threads,.....
How about you tell us what ya got,......

I use Napa fuel filters,.....
Their 3225, is the standard shorter Merc fuel filter,....

The Merc filter heads all use the same threads, 'n o-ring,....
The depth of the filter changes with the different part numbers,.....

Last edited:

rickasbury

The motor I'm good on...2006 350 MPI...just looks like Rinker used the same one for the generator... I just ordered them both and if I need to get another for the generator I can deal with that, they are cheap! Thanks,

rickasbury

I started a thread on identifying fuel water seperator filters for my motor and my Genny....I bought two for what a parts site showed I should have on the motor. I figured/hoped rinker used the same for both. This worked out fine for the generator...but for the motor, well there is not one. This is the second time I have changed fuel/water filter on a new to me very overwhelming boat. The generator one is mounted on the firewall...I guess I assumed that was for the motor the first go around and did not look at the lines closely and figured the Genny did not have one. There also is not a fuel cut off valve for the motor- there is one for the generator. The line for the motor comes from the tank to the filter to the fuel pump. The only place I can see where it might go is a strainer for the generator...is this normal?

thumpar

Admiral
Is what normal? You say there is no filter but also that the fuel line goes from tank to filter to fuel pump. Which is it? What are you looking for?

The engine system and generator system need to be considered 2 separate units that just happen to share a common tank.

rickasbury

Sorry, what I'm saying is the generator has a ball fuel valve, a fuel water sepeseper and a fuel filter. The engine only has the in line fuel filter, no cartridge.

thumpar

Admiral
Being an mpi it should be new enough to have a screw on filter.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The filter on the engine is a combined filter and water separator, in the single spin-on element...

Chris...

Bondo

Staff member
Sorry, what I'm saying is the generator has a ball fuel valve, a fuel water sepeseper and a fuel filter. The engine only has the in line fuel filter, no cartridge.

Ayuh,.... The gen-set only needs 1 fuel filter, the second is just an added leak point,......

The fuel water separators ARE a fuel Filter,....

The fuel filter canister should be on the forward starboard corner of the motor, just before the primary fuel pump,......
'n the motor's fuel line shouldn't need a ball valve, as there should be an anti-siphon valve, at the tank's outlet,....
If the fuel pump ain't suckin', no fuel leaves the tank,.....

rickasbury

Well, there is no spin on filter other than the one on the Genny....and I did notice when I pulled the in line fuel filter off, I had no fuel leakage. The is no antisyphon valve either. So in the process of all this my water pump has apparently taken a crap on me.....friggin boats!

achris

350MPI... It will have a filter. Starboard side, just under the front of the exhaust manifold. If not a spin-on, then an element inside the fuel pump. #28 in the drawing... https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/...31752/13884/60

In future, please add more detail to the description of what you're working on. '350MPI' just isn't enough. Add the engine serial number and what drive is behind it. I was only able to work it out by deduction.

Chris.....

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
If you are not firmiliar with the screw on filters, they look like an oil filter.

achris

If you are not firmiliar with the screw on filters, they look like an oil filter.

If it's an engine for a Bravo drive, it doesn't have a spin-on/screw-on, it's an element inside the fuel pump... (have a look at the drawing I posted the link to).

Chris......

rickasbury

Yep, familiar, just don't have one. My fuel pump is a cylinder about 7" long located right under the alternator. I will try to post.

rickasbury

Oh and bravo lll, 2095 motor...I will get the numbers...someone please post something to this so I can find the thread!

achris

7" cylinder under/behind the alternator... That's the original 'Cool-fuel system'

Chris..........

scoflaw

Ensign
Cylinder about 7" long would be the CF2 which would have the spin on fuel/water filter.

achris

Ahhhh. Think I know why you can't find the filter. It is a spin-on, and it is on the starboard side, under the front of the exhaust manifold. You're just not seeing it because it's inside a cover assembly! Most owners will remove that stupid cover and toss it. It may be that your engine still has the aforementioned 'stupid cover', and it's 'hiding' the filter....

Chris.......