Engine alignment

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so I'm getting ready to replace bellows,lower shift cable, update shift shaft bushings to gen 2 style and replace senders. First thing I did is check alignment. Drive came off a little hard. Of course it's a little off. Slide in a little hard. Good spline contact 3/4 of the way around on top not so good on very bottom. So I know the front of engine has to come down right. Can you make that up with the gimbal bearing. In other words will it gimble up?. Also can you take instead of front of motor down can you take back up. Never adjusted alignment before so any tips or tricks on this?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Ok so I'm getting ready to replace bellows,lower shift cable, update shift shaft bushings to gen 2 style and replace senders. First thing I did is check alignment. Drive came off a little hard. Of course it's a little off. Slide in a little hard. Good spline contact 3/4 of the way around on top not so good on very bottom. So I know the front of engine has to come down right.
Right.
Can you make that up with the gimbal bearing. In other words will it gimble up?
No.
. Also can you take instead of front of motor down can you take back up.
No.
Never adjusted alignment before so any tips or tricks on this?
Watch a couple of videos I have on the subject. Down the bottom of my signature is the link to My Videos. Look for Checking Alignment, and Gimbal Bearing explained.

Chris..........

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey one question how do I check to make sure my my motor mount nuts are even on both sides :lol:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hey one question how do I check to make sure my my motor mount nuts are even on both sides :lol:

Put a hoist on the front of the engine. There's a lifting loop on the thermostat housing specifically for that. Loosen the TOP nut on each mount a few turns, then start coming up on the hoist. Once the engine just starts lifting off the lower nuts you'll be able to see if there's a difference, and how much...

Chris......

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Wish I would have thought of that when I put my motor back in...just have mine I balled....