Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Private Messages

We are aware of a current issue where your messages screen does not properly load and we are working on a fix.

In the interim, you can access you messages by navigating to this link: https://forums.iboats.com/privatemessage/notification

Apologies for the inconvenience.
See more
See less

Engine alignment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Engine alignment

    Ok so I'm getting ready to replace bellows,lower shift cable, update shift shaft bushings to gen 2 style and replace senders. First thing I did is check alignment. Drive came off a little hard. Of course it's a little off. Slide in a little hard. Good spline contact 3/4 of the way around on top not so good on very bottom. So I know the front of engine has to come down right. Can you make that up with the gimbal bearing. In other words will it gimble up?. Also can you take instead of front of motor down can you take back up. Never adjusted alignment before so any tips or tricks on this?

  • #2
    Originally posted by midnightrider1818 View Post
    Ok so I'm getting ready to replace bellows,lower shift cable, update shift shaft bushings to gen 2 style and replace senders. First thing I did is check alignment. Drive came off a little hard. Of course it's a little off. Slide in a little hard. Good spline contact 3/4 of the way around on top not so good on very bottom. So I know the front of engine has to come down right.
    Right.
    Originally posted by midnightrider1818 View Post
    Can you make that up with the gimbal bearing. In other words will it gimble up?
    No.
    Originally posted by midnightrider1818 View Post
    . Also can you take instead of front of motor down can you take back up.
    No.
    Originally posted by midnightrider1818 View Post
    Never adjusted alignment before so any tips or tricks on this?
    Watch a couple of videos I have on the subject. Down the bottom of my signature is the link to My Videos. Look for Checking Alignment, and Gimbal Bearing explained.

    Chris..........
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
    1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
    2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
    (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)


    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks chris

      Comment


      • #4
        Hey one question how do I check to make sure my my motor mount nuts are even on both sides

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by midnightrider1818 View Post
          Hey one question how do I check to make sure my my motor mount nuts are even on both sides
          Put a hoist on the front of the engine. There's a lifting loop on the thermostat housing specifically for that. Loosen the TOP nut on each mount a few turns, then start coming up on the hoist. Once the engine just starts lifting off the lower nuts you'll be able to see if there's a difference, and how much...

          Chris......
          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
          The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
          1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
          2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
          (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)


          Comment


          • #6
            Sign up today
            Wish I would have thought of that when I put my motor back in...just have mine I balled....

            Comment

            Working...
            X