Vacuum advance for 140?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by achris View Post

... Fibre gear!!!! That is NOT factory standard. ALL Mercruiser in-line GM engines had a steel crank timing gear and an ALUMINIUM cam gear. If it has fibre, then someone has messed with it, or the engine is not original... DO NOT put a new fibre gear on, get the proper set from Merc.

Chris.....
    Chris, the 2.5 / 3.0 and the inline 6 originally had fiber gears on the cam from GM. Aluminum didnt come out until later
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I asked the Mercruiser rep years ago why the marine in line engines had fiber cam gears. He said it made the engines quiter since it was so close to the boater. And as the poster said it was 20 years old.
      Cheverolet used fiber cam gears in the passenger cars up to around 1962.
      Kenner, Louisiana 1980 Donzi 18'. 2+3 6.2 MPI Alpha 1

Comment

Originally posted by kenny nunez View Post
        I asked the Mercruiser rep years ago why the marine in line engines had fiber cam gears. He said it made the engines quiter since it was so close to the boater. And as the poster said it was 20 years old.
        Well I feel better about this....

back to the dizzy gear
        It's like Murphy's law, but worse; another T.K.O>

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the fiber cam gear. I rebuilt my 73' 140HP about 10 years ago, the original fiber cam gear was in good condition, so I went back fiber during the rebuilt. I didn't want to chance the aluminum gear being noisy.

Originally posted by SSTKO81 View Post
          back to the dizzy gear
          Did you check the cam distributor drive gear to make sure it's not messed up, due to the broken tooth. Also, are the bushings in the distributor good, shaft sloppy. Depending on how much you want to spend, Delco makes a "Voyager" complete ignition system for your engine, $300+. I have seen Mallory distributors pop up on Ebay that will fit a Mercruiser GM 4cyl

For the gear, Check you PM's
          2001 Crestliner SuperHawk 1800, Mercruiser 140HP
          2007 Tracker 1436 jon boat, 7.5HP Force

Comment

My 140 had the fiber fear, 1985. It had some chips missing when I refreshed the gaskets replaced with metal gears.
            Now back to your dizzy gear, yeah absolutely replace it.
            If ya can't fix it with a hammer,ya got yourself an electrical problem.

Comment

Originally posted by SSTKO81 View Post

Well I feel better about this....

back to the dizzy gear
              buy new dizzy gear, takes 3 minutes to change, and 2 of those are digging tools out of your tool box. you will need a punch to drive out the roll pin and a hammer.

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats

Comment

Originally posted by kenny nunez View Post
                GM still used the fiber gears on the 151 poncho motor (2.5 liter found in citations, fieros, sunbirds, etc) until the 90's and the 196/230/250/292 motors from the factory until the 80's

Past Boats

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post

GM still used the fiber gears on the 151 poncho motor (2.5 liter found in citations, fieros, sunbirds, etc) until the 90's and the 196/230/250/292 motors from the factory until the 80's
                  My 165 (1972) has factory aluminium gear on the cam, no fibre (I was the first to open it up in 1987). I also remember reading a parts or service bulletin during my dealership years that GM only supplied ali gears on the cams for the marine engines, never fibre. For the reason, they strip out.

Chris.......
                  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                  The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
                  1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
                  2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
                  (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

Found a Melling gear by doing a cross reference at the local O’Reillys. It’s perfect! I’ll replace it this weekend and then on to the next issue that will definitely come up.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by SSTKO81; February 15th, 2019, 09:26 AM.
                    It's like Murphy's law, but worse; another T.K.O>

Comment

Working...
                    X