Vacuum advance for 140?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum advance for 140?

I recently found myself in need of a new distributor and found a part number cross reference that directed me to one with a vacuum advance. Now mine (1981) doesn’t have vacuum advance but I guess I could see the benefit of adding it. Has this been tried? Any thoughts on why it would be a bad idea? -I’m just curious at this point
    It's like Murphy's law, but worse; another T.K.O>

Never seen a marine distributor with vacuum advance must be an automotive distributor. Marine engines don’t run where vacuum advance would be advantageous like part throttle cruise, marine engines are under load at all times

Comment

What part of your distributor is worn out? The flyweights or is the shaft too loose?
      Kenner, Louisiana 1980 Donzi 18'. 2+3 6.2 MPI Alpha 1

Comment

It's not a marine distributor if it has vacuum advance.
        83 Sunrunner 16.5 120 merc Alpha 1 drive SOLD 8/1/13

1996 Crownline 202BR
        5.7l EFI 0f791070
        Bravo I drive

GMC Yukon tow rig

Comment

If the centrifugal advance parts are in good condition take the shaft out and bring it to a machine shop. Have a new bushing installed in the top and a second bushing installed in the bottom by just boring out the housing and fitting a bushing. There never was a lower bushing in the distributor, there is a bushing just above the oil pump in the block that is worn out.
          Anyone with a small lathe can do this.

Comment

Bushing are fine, problem with mine is that the gear is damaged. There’s a chunk missing from then end of one of the teeth

Comment

The end should be fine. As the cam gear is more circular, the end of the distributor gear shouldn't ever be meshed anyway. How much is missing?

Chris......
              xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
              The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
              1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
              2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
              (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

About half of one tooth

Comment

I guess really I just need a new gear

Comment

With a fairly quick search, the only two I found must of been gold plated. Example here. However, it does tell you what you are looking for. Gotta be a pulled motor somewhere you can get a disty out of if you can't find just the gear.
                    17 Foot '90 Bluewater
                    Alpha 1 3.0 Merc - repowered in 2016
                    now - 4.3L Vortec - Alpha 1 GenII
                    Honda BF100L kicker
                    Engine custom - Transom 0D65328 - Drive 0D648864
                    If you ain't fishin, then yer working too much.

Comment

Just to be sure, take a close look at the cam. It Is very possible that something went through the oil pump and the cam is also damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny nunez View Post
                        Just to be sure, take a close look at the cam. It Is very possible that something went through the oil pump and the cam is also damaged.
                        That’s how I arrived where I am... had to pull the cam to change the fiber gear and that’s when I found the dizzy gear. Cam looks great tho, like really great.

Comment

Originally posted by SSTKO81 View Post

That’s how I arrived where I am... had to pull the cam to change the fiber gear and that’s when I found the dizzy gear. Cam looks great tho, like really great.
                          ... Fibre gear!!!! That is NOT factory standard. ALL Mercruiser in-line GM engines had a steel crank timing gear and an ALUMINIUM cam gear. If it has fibre, then someone has messed with it, or the engine is not original... DO NOT put a new fibre gear on, get the proper set from Merc.

Chris.....
                          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                          The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
                          1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
                          2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
                          (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

Originally posted by achris View Post

... Fibre gear!!!! That is NOT factory standard. ALL Mercruiser in-line GM engines had a steel crank timing gear and an ALUMINIUM cam gear. If it has fibre, then someone has messed with it, or the engine is not original... DO NOT put a new fibre gear on, get the proper set from Merc.

Chris.....
                            Too late for all that. It’s had a fiber gear in in for 20 years and that’s what went back in. If it lasts another 20 years and fails, then I’ll deal with it then. -that distributor gear replacement is pricey enough! Does Sierra make an alternate?

Comment

Originally posted by SSTKO81 View Post

Too late for all that. It’s had a fiber gear in in for 20 years and that’s what went back in. If it lasts another 20 years and fails, then I’ll deal with it then. -that distributor gear replacement is pricey enough! Does Sierra make an alternate?
                              You now have the right part number to search with.
                              17 Foot '90 Bluewater
                              Alpha 1 3.0 Merc - repowered in 2016
                              now - 4.3L Vortec - Alpha 1 GenII
                              Honda BF100L kicker
                              Engine custom - Transom 0D65328 - Drive 0D648864
                              If you ain't fishin, then yer working too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X