Assembly in Cold Weather

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Any problem in starting to re-assembly my engine in temps in the 30's?.........i.e. installing heads.
Have ALOT of other projects planned for the spring and trying to get a head start.........

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Any problem in starting to re-assembly my engine in temps in the 30's?.........i.e. installing heads.
Have ALOT of other projects planned for the spring and trying to get a head start.........

'Head start'.... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Two questions
1. Does the torque specification give you a temperature rating?

2. Has torque wrench been calibrated per ISO?

Unless your installing o-rings in the space shuttle, a no to either question null and voids your concerns about the temperature

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... My fingers go numb at those temps, handlin' cold steel,...... :rolleyes:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It gets kind of cranky in cold weather, but piston on and ring up the parts and get that head start... :laugh:

Scott06

Vice Admiral
You can do it for sure just fingers go numb as mentioned. In my younger days sure, getting to old for that stuff now... also usually need whiskey for my hot coffee vs cold beer.

harringtondav

Commander
As long as the critical torque parts are at the same temp. at torque up, you'll be good. Steel and iron have nearly identical rates of thermal expansion. Fastener stretch on aluminum parts will be a teeny bit more when they warm up, but negligible compared to torque wrench repeatability.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Installed both heads and adjusted rockers today...........temp was high 30's(?).
Got done what I wanted to!