Special fuel line needed for Marine?

Hossbot

Cadet

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most auto stores do not carry marine fuel hose. Napa may, however only those napas that carry other marine parts.

Bondo

Staff member
most auto stores do not carry marine fuel hose. Napa may, however only those napas that carry other marine parts.

Ayuh,..... I can only comment on My local Napa, but,.....

They carry the grey Outboard fuel line, but not the CG approved black rubber I/O fuel line,.......

This thread reminds me,..... I've gotta buy another box of I/O fuel line, from iboats,... the cheapest I've found,.....

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The reason your boat inspection failed is because you have installed non marine rated parts that involve risk of spark or it involves fuel delivery.

What a land vehicle might get away involving fuel leak/fumes because it can vent the fumes quickly, on a boat those problems can cause a fire or violent explosion.

Boats can trap lots of gasoline fumes in enclosed areas and inboard engine compartments are the biggest threat.

The top no-nos are wrong fuel line for application, no metal fuel line from fuel pump to carb or injection system, electric fuel pump hotwired to ignition, non marine rated fuel pump, non marine rated alternator.

In an enclosed engine compartment or a permenant fuel tank, you must use A1 rated marine hose that is designed to be fire resistant.

For outboard motors above deck, the A1 fuel line above deck can be adapted/jointed into a flexible B1 rated hose.

B1 rated hose can be used entirely for outboard motor portable tanks not enclosed in the boat.

Also, if you have an electric fuel pump, it cannot be hot wired to the ignition. It has to be enabled with oil pressure switch and starter solenoid/relay voltage. Usually this is done correctly by the engine manufacturer, unless someone goes and bypasses it.

harringtondav

Commander
The top no-nos are wrong fuel line for application, no metal fuel line from fuel pump to carb or injection system

I'm with you on everything, except this, unless you mean "'having' no metal line..". My Merc 4.3 and my pal's Merc 350 mag are hard plumbed from the pump to the carb. My pal's twin Cruisers 350 GM were also plumbed with metal tube. When he cut the tube ahead of his Cruisers carbs to plumb in a plastic in line fuel filter with rubber hose, I freaked out in front of him.

I helped him properly install a pair of spin on mainfolds/fuel filters, so those death trap plastic filters are unnecessary. Every year I tell him I will bring my tube bending and flaring tools and fix it for free. Shrug off. We only go out on his big boat a couple times/yr. We stay on the fly bridge deck, and I know where the life jackets are. I don't know his plan for the 4th of July fireworks show when he has 20 souls on board.

Bondo

Staff member
no metal fuel line from fuel pump to carb or injection system,

Ayuh,..... Dave is Right,...... This, ^^^^ is Wrong,.....

havoc_squad

Ayuh,..... Dave is Right,...... This, ^^^^ is Wrong,.....

Did I mis-read USCG regs on inboard engine fuel line from fuel pump to carb/injectors?

Or did I create a ton of confusion by using double negative/no's in my post?

I remember seeing that it was mandatory for it to be metal only. No rubber, plastic, or automotive flex style hoses for permenant installation.

It is assumed that a temporary setup may use extra parts that are flexible for adding a pressure gauge to diagnose a fuel pressure issue on low pressure fuel pumps.

High pressure pumps would use the service port on the fuel rails.

Last edited:

scoflaw

Ensign
The OEM fuel lines on the engine in my sig are rubber with metal fittings on both ends. All of them

havoc_squad

the USCG regs are metal line OR USCG approved hose. most of the time, a pre-formed metal line is about 1/4 the cost of USCG approved hose, in this case A1 hose

see page 79

http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/AssetManager/ABYC.1002.01.pdf

Thanks for that clarification, I think the mixup was due to seeing an inspection example photo of non-compliance where someone cut up a metal fuel line without a fuel barb/connector using just hose clamps and stuck a fuel hose on it to the carb.

Then add that its been a long time since I've read the fine print.

Guess it's time to step in the assumption junction penalty box for a few hours today.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The reason your boat inspection failed is because you have installed non marine rated parts that involve risk of spark or it involves fuel delivery.....

That's not the reason it failed. Read the statement below, from the original post, as to why it failed.

The boat in my sig needs new fuel line (an inspector said it is too old based on date stamp he found on it). I'm new to marine but familiar with cars/trucks/etc. ....

Now, I may not be up to date with the regs in the US, but I have never seen a failure by age on fuel lines.
I also checked that all the lines on the engine were originally metal, and as long as they aren't all rusted out, there is not 'age limit' on metal lines. Therefore I can only conclude that the referred fuel lines are from the fuel tank to the engine-mounted filter assembly. In that case, just find out the fittings on the end of the lines and a supplier should be able to provide, or fabricate, suitable replacements. Just ensure they are 'marine' rated.

Chris.......

alldodge

Staff member
That's not the reason it failed. Read the statement below, from the original post, as to why it failed.

(an inspector said it is too old based on date stamp he found on it)

Now, I may not be up to date with the regs in the US, but I have never seen a failure by age on fuel lines.
I also checked that all the lines on the engine were originally metal, and as long as they aren't all rusted out, there is not 'age limit' on metal lines. Therefore I can only conclude that the referred fuel lines are from the fuel tank to the engine-mounted filter assembly. In that case, just find out the fittings on the end of the lines and a supplier should be able to provide, or fabricate, suitable replacements. Just ensure they are 'marine' rated.

Chris.......

Concur

Hossbot

Cadet
Wow, thanks for all the feedback! I've a lot to learn.

FYI, I've only had the boat about a month and it is parked in a boat house that is about 30 minutes from me and am not able to get to it very often. I haven't done anything with it yet, its as I got it (so in the case of fuel lines, it is currently as I got it).

As for the inspection, I paid someone to go through the boat and inspect everything so I can get an idea of its current state and any critical things I need to do before using it this summer.

This is what he put in the inspection report...

The rubber hoses in the fuel system have a manufacture date of 1994. This includes the fuel fill hoses, vents, and supply lines.

Recommendation... These hoses are in good shape for their age. No cracking or leakage sighted. The hoses should be renewed as a form of preventative maintenance. Keep in mind that the average useable life of this type of hose is approximately 10 years. According to the manufacturer after 10 years the rubber has broken down and the hose will not pass the 2 1/2 minute USCG open flame test.

What do you think? Is he correct and I should replace them?

As for the J1527 A1, is J1527 A1-15 ok to use? I only ask because it comes up in my searches and some of the descriptions I read almost sound like its a newer version of "A1".

harringtondav

Commander
I also checked that all the lines on the engine were originally metal, and as long as they aren't all rusted out, there is not 'age limit' on metal lines.
I've assumed (often dangerous) the metal fuel tubing is stainless steel.

Bondo

Staff member
I've assumed (often dangerous) the metal fuel tubing is stainless steel.

Ayuh,..... You assumed wrong,.... Factory metal lines are steel,.....

I build new ones outa 3/8" automotive brake line,.....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
...Keep in mind that the average useable life of this type of hose is approximately 10 years....

Interesting.... And complete BS!

My boat, 1972, still has original fill and vent lines. The supply line is 1994, as I replaced it when I refurbed the tank, which included a larger pickup, and hence supply line....

My boat is inspected for insurance every 5 years, and nobody has said 'Boo' about the lines. I have 'double clamped' all fuel fittings, and I inspect them myself every year anyway.

Chris.....

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I'm with Chris,...... 10 years, if in direct sunlight everyday, maybe,......

Hidin' in the bilge,...... Many decades,....... 30, 40 years,.....