Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Private Messages

We are aware of a current issue where your messages screen does not properly load and we are working on a fix.

In the interim, you can access you messages by navigating to this link: https://forums.iboats.com/privatemessage/notification

Apologies for the inconvenience.
See more
See less

Special fuel line needed for Marine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special fuel line needed for Marine?

The boat in my sig needs new fuel line (an inspector said it is too old based on date stamp he found on it). I'm new to marine but familiar with cars/trucks/etc. In those, I use Gates hose from local auto parts store. This is what I normally use for carbureted engines... https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-po...hose/p/p100766

Will this work in a boat as well, or do you need to use special line made for marine?
    1995 Bayliner Avanti Express 3255
    Engines: Mercruiser 5.7L 4-57B110HS (0F438410 & 0F438409)
    Drives: 5-220200HS Bravo Two (0F510804 & 0F510645)

If you don't use solid line then you need A1.
    83 Sunrunner 16.5 120 merc Alpha 1 drive SOLD 8/1/13

1996 Crownline 202BR
    5.7l EFI 0f791070
    Bravo I drive

GMC Yukon tow rig

Comment

Look for "SAEJ1527 Type A1"
      Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Current Boats: Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
      Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
      Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Comment

most auto stores do not carry marine fuel hose. Napa may, however only those napas that carry other marine parts.
        Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
        1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
        2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
        1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
          most auto stores do not carry marine fuel hose. Napa may, however only those napas that carry other marine parts.
          Ayuh,..... I can only comment on My local Napa, but,.....

They carry the grey Outboard fuel line, but not the CG approved black rubber I/O fuel line,.......

This thread reminds me,..... I've gotta buy another box of I/O fuel line, from iboats,... the cheapest I've found,.....

Comment

The reason your boat inspection failed is because you have installed non marine rated parts that involve risk of spark or it involves fuel delivery.

What a land vehicle might get away involving fuel leak/fumes because it can vent the fumes quickly, on a boat those problems can cause a fire or violent explosion.

Boats can trap lots of gasoline fumes in enclosed areas and inboard engine compartments are the biggest threat.

The top no-nos are wrong fuel line for application, no metal fuel line from fuel pump to carb or injection system, electric fuel pump hotwired to ignition, non marine rated fuel pump, non marine rated alternator.

In an enclosed engine compartment or a permenant fuel tank, you must use A1 rated marine hose that is designed to be fire resistant.

For outboard motors above deck, the A1 fuel line above deck can be adapted/jointed into a flexible B1 rated hose.

B1 rated hose can be used entirely for outboard motor portable tanks not enclosed in the boat.

Also, if you have an electric fuel pump, it cannot be hot wired to the ignition. It has to be enabled with oil pressure switch and starter solenoid/relay voltage. Usually this is done correctly by the engine manufacturer, unless someone goes and bypasses it.

Comment

Originally posted by havoc_squad View Post
              The top no-nos are wrong fuel line for application, no metal fuel line from fuel pump to carb or injection system
              I'm with you on everything, except this, unless you mean "'having' no metal line..". My Merc 4.3 and my pal's Merc 350 mag are hard plumbed from the pump to the carb. My pal's twin Cruisers 350 GM were also plumbed with metal tube. When he cut the tube ahead of his Cruisers carbs to plumb in a plastic in line fuel filter with rubber hose, I freaked out in front of him.

I helped him properly install a pair of spin on mainfolds/fuel filters, so those death trap plastic filters are unnecessary. Every year I tell him I will bring my tube bending and flaring tools and fix it for free. Shrug off. We only go out on his big boat a couple times/yr. We stay on the fly bridge deck, and I know where the life jackets are. I don't know his plan for the 4th of July fireworks show when he has 20 souls on board.

'96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

no metal fuel line from fuel pump to carb or injection system,
                Ayuh,..... Dave is Right,...... This, ^^^^ is Wrong,.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bondo View Post

Ayuh,..... Dave is Right,...... This, ^^^^ is Wrong,.....
                  Did I mis-read USCG regs on inboard engine fuel line from fuel pump to carb/injectors?

Or did I create a ton of confusion by using double negative/no's in my post?

I remember seeing that it was mandatory for it to be metal only. No rubber, plastic, or automotive flex style hoses for permenant installation.

It is assumed that a temporary setup may use extra parts that are flexible for adding a pressure gauge to diagnose a fuel pressure issue on low pressure fuel pumps.

High pressure pumps would use the service port on the fuel rails.
                  Last edited by havoc_squad; February 8th, 2019, 08:48 AM.

Comment

The OEM fuel lines on the engine in my sig are rubber with metal fittings on both ends. All of them
                    1999 Powerquest 260 legend
                    502 mpi
                    B1

Comment

the USCG regs are metal line OR USCG approved hose. most of the time, a pre-formed metal line is about 1/4 the cost of USCG approved hose, in this case A1 hose

see page 79

http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/...YC.1002.01.pdf
                      Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                      1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                      2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                      1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
                        the USCG regs are metal line OR USCG approved hose. most of the time, a pre-formed metal line is about 1/4 the cost of USCG approved hose, in this case A1 hose

see page 79

http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/...YC.1002.01.pdf
                        Thanks for that clarification, I think the mixup was due to seeing an inspection example photo of non-compliance where someone cut up a metal fuel line without a fuel barb/connector using just hose clamps and stuck a fuel hose on it to the carb.

Then add that its been a long time since I've read the fine print.

Guess it's time to step in the assumption junction penalty box for a few hours today.

Comment

Originally posted by havoc_squad View Post
                          The reason your boat inspection failed is because you have installed non marine rated parts that involve risk of spark or it involves fuel delivery.....
                          That's not the reason it failed. Read the statement below, from the original post, as to why it failed.

Originally posted by Hossbot View Post
                          The boat in my sig needs new fuel line (an inspector said it is too old based on date stamp he found on it). I'm new to marine but familiar with cars/trucks/etc. ....
                          Now, I may not be up to date with the regs in the US, but I have never seen a failure by age on fuel lines.
                          I also checked that all the lines on the engine were originally metal, and as long as they aren't all rusted out, there is not 'age limit' on metal lines. Therefore I can only conclude that the referred fuel lines are from the fuel tank to the engine-mounted filter assembly. In that case, just find out the fittings on the end of the lines and a supplier should be able to provide, or fabricate, suitable replacements. Just ensure they are 'marine' rated.

Chris.......
                          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                          The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
                          1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
                          2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
                          (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

Originally posted by achris View Post

That's not the reason it failed. Read the statement below, from the original post, as to why it failed.

(an inspector said it is too old based on date stamp he found on it)

Now, I may not be up to date with the regs in the US, but I have never seen a failure by age on fuel lines.
                            I also checked that all the lines on the engine were originally metal, and as long as they aren't all rusted out, there is not 'age limit' on metal lines. Therefore I can only conclude that the referred fuel lines are from the fuel tank to the engine-mounted filter assembly. In that case, just find out the fittings on the end of the lines and a supplier should be able to provide, or fabricate, suitable replacements. Just ensure they are 'marine' rated.

Chris.......
                            Concur
                            94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
                            95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
                            07 Seadoo GTX
                            Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
                            G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Mine is EFI and came with A1 hose. The older ones were metal.
                              83 Sunrunner 16.5 120 merc Alpha 1 drive SOLD 8/1/13

1996 Crownline 202BR
                              5.7l EFI 0f791070
                              Bravo I drive

GMC Yukon tow rig

Comment

Working...
                              X