Play in outdrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello all,
i have a lot of play, left to right in my alpha one gen 2 outdrive. Does I pay sell a kit to repair this? I recall there being a kit that you drill a hole in the transom assemble to repair

harringtondav

Commander
You may be able to reduce the play by tightening the two bolts at the top of your gimbal ring. You'll need to turn the steering hard each way to get a back up wrench on the inside nut.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
or if the issue is v-bow wander

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
Play is Definatly not in the wheel, play is where the arm connects in the transom assembly

alldodge

Staff member
Play is Definatly not in the wheel, play is where the arm connects in the transom assembly

More then likely your going to need to rebuild the gimbal ring and steering pin. Can try to tighten the bolts as mentioned, but most often when this happens, its to late for that to work

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had alot of play in my gimbal. I was able to tighten the bolts and take it out. I have used the mercury kit where you drill two holes in the assembly to get to the pinch bolt and upper nut. Not fun. I would try to tighten the bolts first. One old timer told me the bolts are shouldered so you cant go to far . If that does not work there Is a company that sells a repair kit where instead of drilling holes you cut the front of the assembly out I will find it and post it here

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm glad this came topic came up. So should there be no side to side play at all when you try to move the out drive by hand, or will there always be a "little"? Is there spec on this?

harringtondav

Commander
There will always be some, but not much. Any looseness in a tight gimbal assembly should be limited to the pin and hole clearances in your tiller arm and the steering cyl. yoke. But there are several other locations in the steering system that can become sloppy. Tracking these down takes a helper to move the outdrive and steering wheel while you observe.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thanks! I'm pretty sure everything is A OK, it's just something I've never checked or thought of checking.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Play is definately not in the wheel, play is where the arm connects in the transom assembly

'Arm to transom assembly'. Would that be the steering lever (13) to the swivel pin (14), or the swivel pin into the gimbal ring (1)? With these sorts of problems, you need to be VERY specific to get the right solution. Here's a diagram of all the parts, and their correct names to help everybody out...

It also helps to know what we're talking about, so for everyone else, it's a 2001 5L EFI, so it also has power steering. When looking at these sorts of thing, that information is also quite important.

And with that in mind, could there be wear in the pin (24) that connects the arm to the power steering clevis? Or in the pin in the clevis that connects it to the end of the steering cable?

Click image for larger version  Name:	gimbal ring.JPG Views:	1 Size:	155.3 KB ID:	10703149

Chris........

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Not saying you shouldn't fix it, but what problem are you trying to address?

If you have a outdrive with power steering, you shouldn't have the trim fin anode. Once the drive is in gear, the prop torque is going to push against the linkages and take up any slack that might exist. Other than coasting in neutral, there is never a time where you won't have more than enough prop torque pushing against the slack to keep tension on it.

In other words, you could remove 100% of the slack in the outdrive, and have absolutely zero noticeable change at the console when you are under way.

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Chris, had a helper with me. The play is definatly where part 13 meets 14. Pin 24 is a snug fit. Does mercruiser make a repair kit for this?

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
I feel like when I park, it’s kind of sloppy. Other then that, I fully agree that propulsion takes out the slack

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hey Chris, had a helper with me. The play is definately where part 13 meets 14. Pin 24 is a snug fit. Does Mercruiser make a repair kit for this?

Yes. It's a access and plug kit. In the manual you'll find a template for drilling the top of the gimbal housing. Once you drill the right size holes you have access to the nut and bolt (18 &19) and can tighten them up. The holes are then threaded and the plugs in the kit are screwed in to seal it up again. The alternative is to pull the engine, pull the gimbal housing and tighten it up with it off the transom. That's my preferred method, as it doesn't drill holes in the housing, and if it's not a loose bolt and nut, then the next step is replacing the lever and swivel shaft, and that's a lot easier with the housing off the transom.

Part number for the access kit for a Gen II is -88847A1

Chris.........

Click image for larger version  Name:	steering lever.JPG Views:	1 Size:	41.8 KB ID:	10706605

Last edited:

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the info Chris! Just realized drilling those holes could cause a major leak! Here we go....out comes the engine

Status
Not open for further replies.