Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Private Messages

We are aware of a current issue where your messages screen does not properly load and we are working on a fix.

In the interim, you can access you messages by navigating to this link: https://forums.iboats.com/privatemessage/notification

Apologies for the inconvenience.
See more
See less

Play in outdrive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play in outdrive

Hello all,
    i have a lot of play, left to right in my alpha one gen 2 outdrive. Does I pay sell a kit to repair this? I recall there being a kit that you drill a hole in the transom assemble to repair

You may be able to reduce the play by tightening the two bolts at the top of your gimbal ring. You'll need to turn the steering hard each way to get a back up wrench on the inside nut.
    '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

!st you need to figure out exactly where the play is.
      1999 Powerquest 260 legend
      502 mpi
      B1

Comment

^^ +1
        94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
        95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
        07 Seadoo GTX
        Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
        G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Originally posted by scoflaw View Post
          !st you need to figure out exactly where the play is.
          Originally posted by AllDodge View Post
          ^^ +1
          +2

You're gonna feel awful when you install a kit to fix the steering swivel and find the play is from worn gears in the helm at the dash. Just sayin'. Investigate more.
          BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
          Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
          That is what the forums are for.
          Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

or if the issue is v-bow wander
            Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
            1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
            2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
            1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Play is Definatly not in the wheel, play is where the arm connects in the transom assembly

Comment

Originally posted by Onexl85 View Post
                Play is Definatly not in the wheel, play is where the arm connects in the transom assembly
                More then likely your going to need to rebuild the gimbal ring and steering pin. Can try to tighten the bolts as mentioned, but most often when this happens, its to late for that to work
                94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
                95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
                07 Seadoo GTX
                Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
                G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

I had alot of play in my gimbal. I was able to tighten the bolts and take it out. I have used the mercury kit where you drill two holes in the assembly to get to the pinch bolt and upper nut. Not fun. I would try to tighten the bolts first. One old timer told me the bolts are shouldered so you cant go to far . If that does not work there Is a company that sells a repair kit where instead of drilling holes you cut the front of the assembly out I will find it and post it here

Comment

http://www.jrmarine.com/products/gimbal_repair.htm

Comment

This is what I will do next time there is also a video on YouTube on how to do it

Comment

I'm glad this came topic came up. So should there be no side to side play at all when you try to move the out drive by hand, or will there always be a "little"? Is there spec on this?

Comment

There will always be some, but not much. Any looseness in a tight gimbal assembly should be limited to the pin and hole clearances in your tiller arm and the steering cyl. yoke. But there are several other locations in the steering system that can become sloppy. Tracking these down takes a helper to move the outdrive and steering wheel while you observe.
                          '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

Thanks! I'm pretty sure everything is A OK, it's just something I've never checked or thought of checking.

Comment

Originally posted by Onexl85 View Post
                              Play is definately not in the wheel, play is where the arm connects in the transom assembly
                              'Arm to transom assembly'. Would that be the steering lever (13) to the swivel pin (14), or the swivel pin into the gimbal ring (1)? With these sorts of problems, you need to be VERY specific to get the right solution. Here's a diagram of all the parts, and their correct names to help everybody out...

It also helps to know what we're talking about, so for everyone else, it's a 2001 5L EFI, so it also has power steering. When looking at these sorts of thing, that information is also quite important.

And with that in mind, could there be wear in the pin (24) that connects the arm to the power steering clevis? Or in the pin in the clevis that connects it to the end of the steering cable?

Click image for larger version  Name:	gimbal ring.JPG Views:	1 Size:	155.3 KB ID:	10703149

Chris........
                              Last edited by achris; February 6th, 2019, 03:49 PM.
                              xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
                              1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
                              2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
                              (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

Working...
                              X