MerCruiser 7.4L Bravo GM 454 V-8 1988-1991 Oil Filter & Adapter with two filters

cup of Joe

Seaman
I have a Remote oil Filter Adapter with two filters.
Does the system need two oil filters???
I shared this with Patrick in marineengines.com he could not find a cover either.
This system is for MerCruiser 7.4L Bravo GM 454 V-8 1988-1991 Oil Filter & Adapter, 0B771113 - 0D603117.
the large WIX filter mounts on stringer or transom, The second one I would like to remove and install a cover.
The cover is no longer Available (edit) , part # 91830
I have a copy of the adapter layout here. item 10, cover part # 91830
My system has a filter in it's place, With a filter that can not be changed without removing engine.
I do not want that old contaminated oil in that filter contaminating my engine.
Or would that old oil filter do any harm?

Click image for larger version  Name:	cover.jpg Views:	1 Size:	146.7 KB ID:	10702894

Last edited by a moderator:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... I removed that sentence, as rule 8 bans solicitation,....

I donno, but seems there oughta be such a plate from another manufacturer, or change the whole remote adapter to somebody else's,.....

cup of Joe

Seaman
which sentence?
I have been googleing for hours, Talking to many Mercruiser people
Holly ,Molly, that cover is not worth 100 dollars.
I did notice that part of my post never got answered, or is that Banned also.
Where the Cover goes,my system has a filter in it's place, With a filter that can not be changed without removing engine.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The second filter is adding a second bypass and a pressure drop, and after a while the media will break down and fail

Agreed the part isnt worth $100, however everything on a boat is expensive, and compared to a new motor, making a new bypass cover or re-engineering the oil system, $100 is cheap

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I have a Remote oil Filter Adapter with two filters.
Does the system need two oil filters???
No, it shouldn't have 2 filters. The original design only required one filter.
I shared this with Patrick in marineengines.com he could not find a cover either.
This system is for MerCruiser 7.4L Bravo GM 454 V-8 1988-1991 Oil Filter & Adapter, 0B771113 - 0D603117.
the large WIX filter mounts on stringer or transom,
That is also not correct. The Merc genuine remote filter bolted up to the port exhaust elbow, with hoses running down to the filter adapter which was in place of the block mounted spin-on filter.
The second one I would like to remove and install a cover.
The cover is no longer available (edit) , part # 91830

No, that cover has been superseded, and is still available.
I have a copy of the adapter layout here. item 10, cover part # 91830
My system has a filter in it's place, With a filter that can not be changed without removing engine.
Not sure what you are saying here. You have 2 remote filters, and one on the bottom of the remote filter adapter, 3 in total?

And a request. Instead of an engine serial number range, please post the engine serial number. Having that range makes it impossible to look up YOUR engine....

Chris........

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If I understand you correctly you have a oil filter at the engine and you want to install a remote filter assembly ?

cup of Joe

Seaman
For the ones that were confused, I have this MerCruiser 7.4L Bravo GM 454 V-8 1988-1991 Oil Filter & Adapter system on A 1990 MerCruiser 454 BBC engine I am getting ready to install in my 1971 Day Cruiser.
Normally this system is installed on a Engine as this parts diagram shows.
This 454 MerCuiser engine came as is from a Lake Havasu shop I picked up a few weeks ago.
Now i have it in my Garage getting it ready to drop in my DayCruiser.
I Had noticed where the the Cover plate #91830 goes there was a oil FILTER in its place.
So I called Patrick the parts person from this site to acquire the cover plate.
Patrick could not locate the cover, So I came here to your lovely iboats forum For some Help and Direction for this cover plate.
Thank you All for your Lovely helpful people here.

I contacted a sales person from Offshore-Unlimited Marine & Trailer, in Henderson, NV That has the cover plate in stock.
The engine is ready to Rock and Roll

This diagram and parts list is from this site.
they may be hard to read, it is what it is

cover.jpgcover1.jpgcover2.jpg

Last edited:

achris

Not sure about anyone else, but I am confused. How can you have a remote filter kit AND a filter on the adapter? And none of Merc's remote kits were ever designed to be mounted anywhere but on the engine, mostly the port exhaust elbow. You said it's transom mounted, which makes me think, it's not a geunine Merc kit...

Chris....

cup of Joe

Seaman
Don't be confused, have a seat and relax, Count to ten, take a deep breath, and let it go.
I am mounting the wix oil filter on my transom, and I can mount it where ever I want.
Remember my transom will be very close to the front of engine
oil.jpg

Attachments

• oil1.jpg
    oil1.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 0

achris

Don't be confused, have a seat and relax, Count to ten, take a deep breath, and let it go....

And you can stop being condescending!

I, like everyone else here, is trying to help you. You didn't make yourself clear that you are using a non-genuine remote filter kit, you showed a diagram of the genuine one, and then talked about a filter on the remote adapter. That adapter in your pictures is an OIL COOLER adapter, not a remote filter adapter...

I'll leave this thread now.

Hope it all works out for you!

Chris.......

cup of Joe

Seaman
What Ever chris, i have the system that is on the diagram shown.
Thank you for leaving chris, you could be a little nicer like Scott and Bondo
Bye

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Well it has been awhile since we have had one of these guys, I was beginning to think the mods were getting bored