Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MerCruiser 7.4L Bravo GM 454 V-8 1988-1991 Oil Filter & Adapter with two filters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MerCruiser 7.4L Bravo GM 454 V-8 1988-1991 Oil Filter & Adapter with two filters

I have a Remote oil Filter Adapter with two filters.
    Does the system need two oil filters???
    I shared this with Patrick in marineengines.com he could not find a cover either.
    This system is for MerCruiser 7.4L Bravo GM 454 V-8 1988-1991 Oil Filter & Adapter, 0B771113 - 0D603117.
    the large WIX filter mounts on stringer or transom, The second one I would like to remove and install a cover.
    The cover is no longer Available (edit) , part # 91830
    I have a copy of the adapter layout here. item 10, cover part # 91830
    My system has a filter in it's place, With a filter that can not be changed without removing engine.
    I do not want that old contaminated oil in that filter contaminating my engine.
    Or would that old oil filter do any harm?

Click image for larger version  Name:	cover.jpg Views:	1 Size:	146.7 KB ID:	10702894
    Last edited by Bondo; February 5th, 2019, 06:47 PM. Reason: Rule #8,.....

Ayuh,...... I removed that sentence, as rule 8 bans solicitation,....

I donno, but seems there oughta be such a plate from another manufacturer, or change the whole remote adapter to somebody else's,.....

Comment

91830 is available...... you just gotta google

posting a few of the non-iboats competitors

https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Mercr.../dp/B007D3B5RE Mercury-Mercruiser 91830 Replaced by 8M0104033

https://www.ebay.com/p/Mercury-Mercr...ter/2270321038

BTW, any good machine shop can make the part.
      Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
      1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
      2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
      1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

which sentence?
        I have been googleing for hours, Talking to many Mercruiser people
        Holly ,Molly, that cover is not worth 100 dollars.
        I did notice that part of my post never got answered, or is that Banned also.
        Where the Cover goes,my system has a filter in it's place, With a filter that can not be changed without removing engine.
        Last edited by cup of Joe; February 5th, 2019, 07:17 PM.

Comment

The second filter is adding a second bypass and a pressure drop, and after a while the media will break down and fail

Agreed the part isnt worth $100, however everything on a boat is expensive, and compared to a new motor, making a new bypass cover or re-engineering the oil system, $100 is cheap

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats

Comment

Originally posted by cup of Joe View Post
            I have a Remote oil Filter Adapter with two filters.
            Does the system need two oil filters???
            No, it shouldn't have 2 filters. The original design only required one filter.
            I shared this with Patrick in marineengines.com he could not find a cover either.
            This system is for MerCruiser 7.4L Bravo GM 454 V-8 1988-1991 Oil Filter & Adapter, 0B771113 - 0D603117.
            the large WIX filter mounts on stringer or transom,
            That is also not correct. The Merc genuine remote filter bolted up to the port exhaust elbow, with hoses running down to the filter adapter which was in place of the block mounted spin-on filter.
            The second one I would like to remove and install a cover.
            The cover is no longer available (edit) , part # [B]91830
            No, that cover has been superseded, and is still available.
            I have a copy of the adapter layout here. item 10, cover part # 91830
            My system has a filter in it's place, With a filter that can not be changed without removing engine.
            Not sure what you are saying here. You have 2 remote filters, and one on the bottom of the remote filter adapter, 3 in total?

And a request. Instead of an engine serial number range, please post the engine serial number. Having that range makes it impossible to look up YOUR engine....

Chris........
            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
            The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
            1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
            2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
            (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

If I understand you correctly you have a oil filter at the engine and you want to install a remote filter assembly ?
              NO PERSONAL QUESTIONS, THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR.

Comment

which sentence?
                Ayuh,..... The sentence that solicited the part from posters here at iboats,....

Comment

For the ones that were confused, I have this MerCruiser 7.4L Bravo GM 454 V-8 1988-1991 Oil Filter & Adapter system on A 1990 MerCruiser 454 BBC engine I am getting ready to install in my 1971 Day Cruiser.
                  Normally this system is installed on a Engine as this parts diagram shows.
                  This 454 MerCuiser engine came as is from a Lake Havasu shop I picked up a few weeks ago.
                  Now i have it in my Garage getting it ready to drop in my DayCruiser.
                  I Had noticed where the the Cover plate #91830 goes there was a oil FILTER in its place.
                  So I called Patrick the parts person from this site to acquire the cover plate.
                  Patrick could not locate the cover, So I came here to your lovely iboats forum For some Help and Direction for this cover plate.
                  Thank you All for your Lovely helpful people here.

I contacted a sales person from Offshore-Unlimited Marine & Trailer, in Henderson, NV That has the cover plate in stock.
                  The engine is ready to Rock and Roll

This diagram and parts list is from this site.
                  they may be hard to read, it is what it is

Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	10703147Click image for larger version

Name:	cover1.jpg
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	10703145Click image for larger version

Name:	cover2.jpg
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	10703146
                  Last edited by cup of Joe; February 6th, 2019, 04:39 PM. Reason: diagram

Comment

Not sure about anyone else, but I am confused. How can you have a remote filter kit AND a filter on the adapter? And none of Merc's remote kits were ever designed to be mounted anywhere but on the engine, mostly the port exhaust elbow. You said it's transom mounted, which makes me think, it's not a geunine Merc kit...

Chris....

Comment

Don't be confused, have a seat and relax, Count to ten, take a deep breath, and let it go.
                      I am mounting the wix oil filter on my transom, and I can mount it where ever I want.
                      Remember my transom will be very close to the front of engine

Name:	oil1.jpg
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	10703152 This is a great remote oil filter adapter just like the diagram shows.
                      here is what it looks like

Name:	oil.jpg
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	10703151

Comment

Don't be confused, have a seat and relax, Count to ten, take a deep breath, and let it go....
                        And you can stop being condescending!

I, like everyone else here, is trying to help you. You didn't make yourself clear that you are using a non-genuine remote filter kit, you showed a diagram of the genuine one, and then talked about a filter on the remote adapter. That adapter in your pictures is an OIL COOLER adapter, not a remote filter adapter...

I'll leave this thread now.

Hope it all works out for you!

Chris.......

Comment

What Ever chris, i have the system that is on the diagram shown.
                          Thank you for leaving chris, you could be a little nicer like Scott and Bondo
                          Bye

Comment

Bye
                            Chris won't be leaving, however.....................
                            BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
                            Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                            That is what the forums are for.
                            Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Bye
                              I wouldnt piss of the moderators like your doing.

Past Boats

Comment

Working...
                              X