Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Private Messages

We are aware of a current issue where your messages screen does not properly load and we are working on a fix.

In the interim, you can access you messages by navigating to this link: https://forums.iboats.com/privatemessage/notification

Apologies for the inconvenience.
See more
See less

What is this assembly? (pic) 1996 Mercruiser 5.7 Alpha 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this assembly? (pic) 1996 Mercruiser 5.7 Alpha 1

I am new to boat engines and can't identify the function of this actuator-like assmbly on the starbaord exhaust riser. I am beginning to troubleshoot an overheating issue and wonder if this thing has something to do with cooling. Sometimes the plastic actuator shaft is extended and now it is not. Mystery to me!
    Starboard Exhaust riser Mercruiser 5.7 alpha 1
    Last edited by Goodman98155; January 26th, 2019, 05:25 PM.

That’s the throttle and gear cable linkage, with shift interrupt switch.
    If you are having a go at trouble shooting, best have a look at the manual. Good luck. This has nothing to do with it overheating.

Comment

It's got nothing to do with your cooling. It's your gear shift linkage. Your's has an easy shift servo.
      "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."

Comment

Thanks Qbhoy and wrench- makes sense now. I guess I though it was operating a valve of some kind in the riser.

Comment

First place to start with overheating is the impeller. Grab a manual and get to know the engine.
          83 Sunrunner 16.5 120 merc Alpha 1 drive SOLD 8/1/13

1996 Crownline 202BR
          5.7l EFI 0f791070
          Bravo I drive

GMC Yukon tow rig

Comment

Bolted to the starboard exhaust elbow is the shift plate. You have the remote control gear shift cable (the top one) and the lower shift cable (the lower cable of the two) on there. The plastic 'actuator' is a thing called a 'shift assister'. It's spring-loaded in both directions to assist in getting out of both forward and reverse gear.

Chris....
            Last edited by achris; January 26th, 2019, 10:51 PM. Reason: Clarify more information
            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
            The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
            1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
            2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
            (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

The impeller was referenced. It's located in the stern drive.
              Go to (Boatinfo.no) to view the manuals for your stern drive and engine.

Comment

The impeller is what draws the water into the stern drive, then toward the engine. It's made of rubber and can wear out, depending on usage. The engine also has a water pump that circulates the water throughout the block, just like a car.
                If you don't know when the impeller was last changed, then you should change it or get a marine mechanic to do it for you.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I like the impeller idea and kind of hope it is that out of all of the other myriad possibilities. The boat is in the water but will be out next week for ablative paint. In the meantime I found a service bulletin that describes a way to test the flow from the intake to the engine that I might attempt.
                  http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/82/82_04.pdf
                  Last edited by Goodman98155; January 27th, 2019, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Hi all I noticed that the (boatinfo.no) site doesn’t have my information for my 5.0 (2004) model engine no OW012412 ? Could anyone advise where I could get a service manual for this particular model?
                    Mercruiser 2004 (5.0)
                    Serial No - 0W012412
                    Alpha Gen 2 - Serial No - OW512598

Comment

Originally posted by Davidsgara View Post
                      Hi all I noticed that the (boatinfo.no) site doesn’t have my information for my 5.0 (2004) model engine no OW012412 ? Could anyone advise where I could get a service manual for this particular model?
                      #31 is for the engine and #14 is for the drive. Both should be there.

1996 Crownline 202BR
                      5.7l EFI 0f791070
                      Bravo I drive

GMC Yukon tow rig

Comment

Yeah I checked #31 but my 5.0 is a carburetor version not EFI. Thanks
                        Mercruiser 2004 (5.0)
                        Serial No - 0W012412
                        Alpha Gen 2 - Serial No - OW512598

Comment

Originally posted by Davidsgara View Post
                          Yeah I checked #31 but my 5.0 is a carburetor version not EFI. Thanks
                          Use manual 31 for mechanical, then suppliment it with the TKS carb manual, iirc manual 42..
                          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                          The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
                          1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
                          2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
                          (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

Like Chris said, #42 is the TKS sup, #41 for MPI sup. Everything else engine wise is in #31.

1996 Crownline 202BR
                            5.7l EFI 0f791070
                            Bravo I drive

GMC Yukon tow rig

Comment

Originally posted by poconojoe View Post
                              The impeller is what draws the water into the stern drive, then toward the engine. It's made of rubber and can wear out, depending on usage. The engine also has a water pump that circulates the water throughout the block, just like a car.
                              If you don't know when the impeller was last changed, then you should change it or get a marine mechanic to do it for you.
                              Update: The impeller was totally fried! The boat is still out of the water for other services, but I am confident that the replaced impeller will solve the issue. Thanks all for your advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X