350 MAG Bravo 1 Performance Issue?

Joesolta

Cadet
I'm looking for opinions on what the expected performance should be with a 2009 350 MAG 300 HP. 1.5 gear ratio, 17P prop. I installed a complete SeaCore package into a Bayliner 2252 Hardtop (22.5 ft and approx 5000 lbs) a few years ago and have been underwhelmed by the performance and it seems that something is not right when I compare it to many other boats with similar size and power. Its max speed is about 44 MPH at 5100 RPM (target RPM is 5000-5200) and it gets about 2.2 - 2.3 MPG at best cruise ~30 MPH @ 3500 RPM. The hull is clean and I haven't found anything obvious. No one has a prop shaft dyno near here and I have asked two different Mercruiser Techs to look at it and they came up blank. This boat has a lot of frontal area with the hardtop but I still would expect about 50 MPH top speed and a much coarser prop than 17". Thoughts???

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

your boat weighs too much and you dont have enough power to hit 50 with that hull

Joesolta

Cadet
Maybe, it could be that is all I can expect from this hull. Steep deadrise probably doesn't help. I'm just asking for opinions because I have seen larger, heavier boats with the same power perform equally or better.

bman440440

Petty Officer 1st Class
IMO your about rite on the expected #'s... my buddys 1997 bayliner 2352 trophy with a 2009 350 mag MPI with an alpha 1 with 1.62:1 and a 17p prop is about the same as your #'s... remember these hulls are not built for speed

Joesolta

Cadet
Yes, it's probably just the nature of the beast. I'm not concerned so much about the top speed except as a reference. I was hoping for a lower rpm mid range cruise and better gas mileage. I believe there is about 21-23 % prop slip through the rpm range so it may be time to try a 4 blade prop. With a kicker, downriggers and other fishing gear, it is probably heavier than I think. The extra 200ish lbs of the Bravo setup over the Alpha probably doesn't help either.

silver_power

Petty Officer 1st Class
Check your prop's slip. If it is ok, then there is nothing you can't do because your boat is heavy. 5100 rpm @wot is perfect for engine's health. But you really have 20-22% prop slip. With normal prop slip you should not reach 5100rpm...
by the way, my 20ft (22deg v) wellcraft nova with 2009 350mag mpi with 1.48alpha and 18p enertia hits 59mph@gps @5200rpm. My boat is heavy for it's length as well...this performance is reach ed with about 3600-3700lb weight and 80f ambient temp. If for any reason have to load the boat so to weight 5000lb and push it to wot, it definately will not hit 5200rpm!!! I hope you understand what I mean.

alldodge

Staff member

The hardtop is nice but also will slow it down from the increased drag. You have 20% slip or so but 2+ mpg isn't bad

thumpar

Admiral
You could to with a 19 pitch prop to get the RPM down a tad and pick up a little on the top end. That should also get your cruise RPM down a little.

Joesolta

Cadet
I tried a 19" Prop some time ago but found the top rpm would not quite make it not the target range with a heavy load. I don't want to stress the engine too much.
What kind of prop slip #s do you guys get?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Heres a V6 doing 32 mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ag58OzgibU Is your performance comparable?

Hey BT. Thanks for that video... That was a non-vortec (180hp) V6 in a 22-1/2' boat. For so long we've been seeing some posters saying that size boat without a v8 is under power, and I've been saying no it isn't... Hopefully this video is enough to shut them up!

Cheers

Chris...

Joesolta

Cadet
My boat is the same as the one in the video, give or take a year. I have a kicker and downriggers but that barely adds 200lbs. It came with the same engine (4.3/Alpha) and could barely make 25-26 mph (gps) top speed. Cruise was at 20 mph plowing. That's why I went big with the repower. I haven't seen any sign of hidden weight, ie. waterlogging or any concealed gold bars anywhere so I don't know.

Joesolta

Cadet
I was looking at props and see there are 16" diameter (vs15 1/2) available. I'll give that a try, or a 4 blade to try to get the prop slip down.

alldodge

Staff member
I was looking at props and see there are 16" diameter (vs15 1/2) available. I'll give that a try, or a 4 blade to try to get the prop slip down.

Agree your prop slip is up, but if the skip is reduced then the rpm's are going down. Your getting 44 mph WOT at 5100 rpm, and I think your doing good for a 5K lb boat. If your drive ratio was higher you may have a better chance of getting a tad more IMO, swapping drives is expensive.

achris

My boat is the same as the one in the video, give or take a year. I have a kicker and downriggers but that barely adds 200lbs. It came with the same engine (4.3/Alpha) and could barely make 25-26 mph (gps) top speed. Cruise was at 20 mph plowing. That's why I went big with the repower. I haven't seen any sign of hidden weight, ie. waterlogging or any concealed gold bars anywhere so I don't know.

Well, I have no idea what's wrong with your boat, but something is. My previous engine (exactly that same engine as in that video) ended up in a 23' boat (I installed it) and top speed, checked with a GPS, was 37mph. The owner was ecstatic at the performance and was happy to cruise all day at 20mph...

I currently have a 4.3mpi and my boat is heavy for its size. I got 43 knots with a 19" prop. I usually run a 17"and top out at 39.5 knots (1 knot is 1.15mph). I happily cruise at as low as 17 knots.

If 300hp isn't performing in that boat, then check the hull out. There must be something else going on. Not staying on the plane at 20mph suggests may be a 'rocker' in the hull perhaps... But I suggest your problem is not engine related....

Chris....

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Agree your prop slip is up, but if the skip is reduced then the rpm's are going down. Your getting 44 mph WOT at 5100 rpm, and I think your doing good for a 5K lb boat. If your drive ratio was higher you may have a better chance of getting a tad more IMO, swapping drives is expensive.

swapping drives probably wont help, the OP needs either a better hull, lighter weight or more power (or option D, all of the above). 44 mph with that hull at that weight with only 300hp is fantastic performance

for reference, with 271hp, I could push the boat in my sig at 44-45mph and it weighed 4200# with about 330hp, I could hit 48mph soon we will discover what it does with a bit over 500

Well, I have no idea what's wrong with your boat, but something is. My previous engine (exactly that same engine as in that video) ended up in a 23' boat (I installed it) and top speed, checked with a GPS, was 37mph. The owner was ecstatic at the performance and was happy to cruise all day at 20mph...

I currently have a 4.3mpi and my boat is heavy for its size. I got 43 knots with a19"

Chirs, the bayliner hulls are not designed for speed. you need a lot more power to push a bayliner (brick) thru water.

achris

...Chris, the bayliner hulls are not designed for speed. you need a lot more power to push a bayliner (brick) thru water.

So I was right, there is something wrong with the hull...

I had heard, years ago, that they weren't so good... And if 300hp can't make it perform, then yeah...

Joesolta

Cadet
I will probably go to 16 diameter to improve the slip and down in pitch to 16" to keep the rpm. Anyway, it seems like the performance is prob. in in the ballpark for size, weight, hull of the boat. It looks like I'm just fiddling with fine tuning and probably won't get much more efficency out of this thing. Can't beat the Iaws of physics. Thanks for your opinions. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and experience