470 mercruiser water in oil, steam coming from valve cover

nathant

Cadet
For what its worth....for the bill you will pay to have a shop look at your 470, you could buy a truck load of tools and a 4.3, or you could update your 470 with all the things it needs and have a pile of tools for next time

Tools aren’t the issue. It’s the price for parts here, to overhaul I’m looking at say 3500 max, to out a 4.3 in it I’d be looking close to 10k

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You can build a 4.3 bobtail new for $4

You can rebuild the 470 for about $1500

nathant

Cadet
Where can I get a rebuild for $1500? I’d be looking double that. I’ll go through all the checks again today.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you take the motor to your local machine shop

clean block $160
bore and hone $150
deck the block $50
recon the crank $150
Master rebuild kit $670
recon cylinder head $180

take the parts home and assemble
total cost $1360

I would have the head modified for adjustable rockers, which is bout another $125

optional:

If I were to keep a 470, I would personally spring for a Edelbrock aluminum cylinder head (ford FE engines) and drill the big hole in the end to avoid having an iron head on an aluminum block. this would solve a major portion of the problems with head gasket failure

I would also laser cut a bore spider and tack weld it in place prior to machine work to stabilize the floating bores. this would solve most of the remainder of the problems with head gasket failure

then there is still the cam snout seal issue

nathant

Cadet
you take the motor to your local machine shop

clean block $160
bore and hone $150
deck the block $50
recon the crank $150
Master rebuild kit $670
recon cylinder head $180

take the parts home and assemble
total cost $1360

I would have the head modified for adjustable rockers, which is bout another $125

optional:

If I were to keep a 470, I would personally spring for a Edelbrock aluminum cylinder head (ford FE engines) and drill the big hole in the end to avoid having an iron head on an aluminum block. this would solve a major portion of the problems with head gasket failure

I would also laser cut a bore spider and tack weld it in place prior to machine work to stabilize the floating bores. this would solve most of the remainder of the problems with head gasket failure

then there is still the cam snout seal issue

Our prices a way off I called today for a few quotes they want $390 just to machine and check the cylinder head. Unless I can get it done in the states it’s overpriced here.
But regarding the seals I did find that someone had blocked the weep hole after I unblocked it I had some coolant and oil start to drip out.
Having issues removing the harmonic balancer it’s really stuck in there broke my puller tool trying to remove it.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Our prices a way off I called today for a few quotes they want $390 just to machine and check the cylinder head. Unless I can get it done in the states it’s overpriced here.
But regarding the seals I did find that someone had blocked the weep hole after I unblocked it I had some coolant and oil start to drip out.
Having issues removing the harmonic balancer it’s really stuck in there broke my puller tool trying to remove it.

looks like its simply your cam seal needing a speedy sleave