Rebuilt/remanufactured engine vs new engine

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

im giving my boat an overhaul this winter, ripped up floor stringers etc, now I’m preparing to put all new stuff back in. Getting excited! I was wondering about people’s opinions about buying a new engine vs buying a remanufactured one. It’s a mercruiser 3.0L. New complete engines I’m looking at about $6000 and remanufactured of course substantially less. I just don’t want to buy another headache engine. Also, any reputable places to buy, or ones to avoid?

Thanks,
Jon

alldodge

Staff member
Get a reman from a place like Michigan Motorz. They stand behind their product and so far none have had a bad experience. Only issues you may have is if your carb has issues or if something else like the old ignition had issues.

You could also just rebuild your old motor, or have it rebuilt if you have someone local that can be trusted. Many of the machine shops rebuild motors

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Get a reman from a place like Michigan Motorz. They stand behind their product and so far none have had a bad experience. Only issues you may have is if your carb has issues or if something else like the old ignition had issues.

You could also just rebuild your old motor, or have it rebuilt if you have someone local that can be trusted. Many of the machine shops rebuild motors

Thanks I was thinking about having my old motor rebuilt but it’s been used in saltwater for the last 17 years so I figured it might be better to just go with one that hasn’t.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
You may want to compare pricing on a Brand New Crate motor -- Lowest risk and sometime cost compare due top mass production.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a new 3.0 is a bit over $3k
a new exhaust manifold is $400
transfer your fuel system over
install it yourself, you are only out $3500

your local machine shop can rebuild for about $1500

However why do you think you need a new motor vs simply a new manifold?

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
a new 3.0 is a bit over $3k
a new exhaust manifold is $400
transfer your fuel system over
install it yourself, you are only out $3500

your local machine shop can rebuild for about $1500

However why do you think you need a new motor vs simply a new manifold?

Last year I had my head gasket done professionally, twice. I had the surfaces milled by a machine shop the second time the head gasket was being done. Even after the head gasket was replaced there was lower compression in cylinder 3 than in the other 3 cylinders. Then later in the season water started to appear in the oil. Lastly, there is a small oil leak out of the front of the engine near the engine mounts. When I took the engine out it still started up, so I winterized it and pulled it out, planning to start fresh this year.

I will be doing all the work myself so I will be out about 3500. So in the end you recommend going new long block, new manifold, and transfer over all my old parts?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I personally would buy a non-salt water 3.0 running for under $500 swap it out and go boating.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is getting harder and harder for small shops / rebuilders to compete with factory robots.-------Economy of scale comes into it too.

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I started looking at these motors as Don said, and I’m getting some coming up as a mercruiser 3.0L TKS. My engine is a 2001 mercruiser 3.0L. What is the difference? Are they the same? Will both work the same?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
craigslist. look for free trailer ads that say you must take the boat (usually bayliners with rotten hulls)

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yep, Craigslist is a great source for good used I/o motors and drives. I only gave $500 for a '87 170 DL Avanti with a low hours rebuilt 3.0, new bellows and gimbal, because the transom was rotten.

alldodge

Staff member
I started looking at these motors as Don said, and I’m getting some coming up as a mercruiser 3.0L TKS. My engine is a 2001 mercruiser 3.0L. What is the difference? Are they the same? Will both work the same?

Never said what year yours is

The 3.0 is basically the same, some mods have taken place but only slight over the years. The TKS means Turn Key Start, and this is just a different type of carb. It can be used on any of the 3.0 by adding a few parts and some wiring. That said I would not use a TKS carb unless it came originally with the motor and was running good.

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Never said what year yours is

The 3.0 is basically the same, some mods have taken place but only slight over the years. The TKS means Turn Key Start, and this is just a different type of carb. It can be used on any of the 3.0 by adding a few parts and some wiring. That said I would not use a TKS carb unless it came originally with the motor and was running good.

I have a 2001 mercruiser 3.0L/181ci i4 serial numbers 0L097000-0W301999

the motor I’m looking at on craigslist is a complete engine

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 2001 mercruiser 3.0L/181ci i4 serial numbers 0L097000-0W301999

the motor I’m looking at on craigslist is a complete engine

In that case there should be no issue with direct swap with wiring harness, Your motor S/N series is when they started shifting over from Merc to TKS carbs

Scott Danforth

Staff member
not much changed on the base motor (GM longblock) from 1991 on.