Bravo trim sender - in water adjustment?

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Can I adjust the trim sender with the boat in the water? I'm hauling it out in a month or two for cleaning and maintenance but I'd like to have the trim working before then.

Thanks.

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, we will allow it :D

As long as you have a reasonably shallow area, the procedure will be the same, except a bit wetter . . . (got a helper?)

scoflaw

Ensign
It's probably more than an adjustment if it was working properly previously. Those wires rot off. If its Smartcraft you could try adjusting at the helm.

TBarCYa

It works but it seems like the sender is loose because it's inconsistent how it reads. My biggest concern about doing this in the water is if the sender could get water inside when I loosen the screws

tpenfield

Staff member
It works but it seems like the sender is loose because it's inconsistent how it reads. My biggest concern about doing this in the water is if the sender could get water inside when I loosen the screws

You should only be loosening the 2 adjusting screws, and not the 4 screws that hold the body of the sender together. As scoflaw said , it may be that the sender is failing and adjusting is not going to fix it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you boat in Tampa area

on Saturday there will be a 3' swing in the tide thru-out the day. simply anchor in shallow water at high-tide, then at low-tide, replace the sender

then wait for high-tide again.

harringtondav

Commander
you boat in Tampa area

on Saturday there will be a 3' swing in the tide thru-out the day. simply anchor in shallow water at high-tide, then at low-tide, replace the sender

then wait for high-tide again.

????? Apparently these is an easier way to replace the sender than what I did. I had to pull the drive, and loosen the bell housing to get at the wire grommet clamp. Hopefully low tide lasts a long time, or he has some friends from a pit crew to help.

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mine was intermittent also lately and I had to repair a broken wire connection at the sender that required removal of the sensor. I cut the wires just outside of the bell housing to remove it and spliced it back together after the repair. If it lasts, good. If not then I know what to do next time. I disassembled the sensor in order to get to the ring terminal connection inside the sensor. It's easy to take apart. Made a new wire with new ring terminal, reinstalled the sensor and spliced the wires back together with plenty of grease inside the multiple layers of shrink tubing.

One of the mounting bolts was extremely difficult and in order to keep from breaking it off, I worked slowly for almost 1/2hour with plenty of penetrating oil until it came out. Also used some propent torch heat on the surrounding aluminum.

Attachments

• photo307067.jpg
    photo307067.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo307068.jpg
    photo307068.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 0

TBarCYa

I'm hoping based on the symptoms that mine is loose and just needs to be tightened. It works but sometimes when it's down it's at the trailer line and moves from there and other times it reads at the bottom when it's down. I'll find out this weekend.