Originally posted by achris View Post
    Crack a beer
    Remove drive
    Disconnect, and plug fuel line
    Disconnect battery
    Disconnect battery lead at starter motor
    Disconnect battery ground cable at back of engine
    Disconnect throttle cable at carb
    Disconnect remote control shift cable and lower shift cable from shift plate
    Crack another beer
    Disconnect water hose at either transom plate or thermostat housing
    Loosen rubber exhaust tubes at top of y-pipe.
    Disconnect instrument harness 10 pin Canon plug harness connector
    Remove top locking nut from each side mount
    Remove rear mount bolts (2)
    Sling engine and lift...
    Crack another beer
    Place engine on stand
    Unbolt Transom plate

Anything I've missed?

Chris
    Chris.... I corrected it.
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I've started doing some associated work on the above, firstly in the form of a small trolley to house/move the engine once it's removed. And happily, my starter which had been submerged, is up and running again, on the bench at least. I soaked it for a few days in a bucket of fresh water and a little detergent. Then I dismantled it, cleaned it, dried it and left it sitting in the hot press for a week or two. I lubed where needed, re-assembled and it works fine again, spinning like a tornado with the Bendix engaging etc.

In preparation for the lift,I started disconnecting bits and pieces on the engine today, before the cold got to me. And this leads to my (latest) question. In the attached picture, you can see the assembly at the transom, which is easily removable. This will help with pulling the engine, but in each bottom corner, you can see a ledge, where the batteries would usually sit.

These ledges are part of the deck floor and they run up in a continuous piece, up the inside of the transom. They reduce the access width of the transom by about 12" on either side. So, if and when I want to replace a section of the transom which is the full width, how do I get my full width transom section in? I'd rather not fit the transom in sections. Can I cut these ledge/floor sections out for access and then reglass them back in when I'm done?

All this will become much clearer once the engine is out, for which I'm awaiting word on an engine hoist loan. Any thoughts welcome
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Transom ledge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	10701028

Click image for larger version

Name:	Transom Engine bay.jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	10701027
      1990 Wellcraft 250 Sportsman. Mercruiser 5.7

Comment

Yes you can cut the ledges out, actually the inside part is a stringer, it will have to be sistered back in properly. I think you will find the wood inside them rotted also, how far? Good question.
        If ya can't fix it with a hammer,ya got yourself an electrical problem.

Comment

Nice part with decking and bulkheads is they cut away fairly easy and go back together better than original. Typical factory boat builder leaves a lot to be desired on sealing up wood used for decking and bulkheads. They often leave wood with the hidden side left bare. Which soaks up moisture over the life of the boat. You can slice hunks out of the way with a saw, and fiberglass in new pretty easily, with the added benefit of being sealed up, by the more appreciative to longevity, owner of the boat who's doing the work himself.

Can be fun project if you like being dusty, twisted into a pretzel, and sore in every part of your body. Quite satisfying that way
          17 Foot '90 Bluewater
          Alpha 1 3.0 Merc - repowered in 2016
          now - 4.3L Vortec - Alpha 1 GenII
          Honda BF100L kicker
          Engine custom - Transom 0D65328 - Drive 0D648864
          If you ain't fishin, then yer working too much.

Comment

So, everything is undone, disconnected and my neighbour will be with me in the morning, complete with his tractor and front bucket hoist, minus the bucket. I even removed the exhaust boots and elbows just to ensure that things should go as smoothly as possible. Rather than removing the two front motor mount bolts, I removed the four actual fixing coach bolts, as my trolley stand is made up to allow me to temporarily fix the motor to it, using the mounting plate holes. In doing so, I was surprised to find the coach bolts came undone with the minimal of effort.
            I thought that maybe they'd worked a bit loose over time, through vibration. Not so. When I tested this by tightening them back in again, they just kept turning, with no bite at all!!
            So, as expected, I'll be taking an in depth look at the stringers. I'm actually happy to have this opportunity, secure in the knowledge that after all is said and done, I'll have a stronger, safer, longer lasting boat. I intend to go "over the top" with any repairs, as I'm not getting any younger and don't really want to have to repeat this again. Updates to follow, watch this space and thanks for the responses to my previous questions.

Comment

So my neighbour arrived this morning with his tractor and in 5 minutes the motor was sitting on it's trolley. Then the rains came so I didn't get much done, except to have a look see in the bilge. More rain is forecast for tomorrow, but I'll make a start in removing the inner transom assembly etc. Then I'll get into washing out the bilge really well so I can see what I'm dealing with. I'll post updates as I progress and no doubt will have plenty of questions to ask. Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine out.jpg
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	10701852Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine bay 2.jpg
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	10701853

Comment

Looks like fun times ahead. From here it kind of looks like the motor mounts are independent of your main stringers. They might be easier to rebuild than the typical. Looking forward to seeing how your test bore holes come out. Don't be afraid to drill there and here, aft and fore. Start low, work your way towards the bow. Water works its way up into everything by capillary action, but damage occurs down low first.
                17 Foot '90 Bluewater
                Alpha 1 3.0 Merc - repowered in 2016
                now - 4.3L Vortec - Alpha 1 GenII
                Honda BF100L kicker
                Engine custom - Transom 0D65328 - Drive 0D648864
                If you ain't fishin, then yer working too much.

Comment

Be sure to document where all stringers, mounts are located, from height, side to side, diagonal, front to back. Take lots of pictures, and then take some more!. You can never have to much info. Helps a lot when building the new mounts and transom.
                  If ya can't fix it with a hammer,ya got yourself an electrical problem.

Comment

As this thread has moved from being an engine problem to a transom repair/rebuild, the posts regarding the transom have been moved to the Restorations forum. Should the OP wish to continue this thread when the time comes to refit the engine, he is welcome to do so...

The new thread.
                    https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...ter-getting-in

Chris.
                    iboats mod team.
                    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
                    1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
                    2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
                    (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

Reminds me of my recent project...fortunately I did not have any transom work to do...my 270 express eas a very large transom...

Comment

Working...
                      X