454 raw water pump pissing

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm pretty sure it means that the bearing is bad but is there anything else that would cause water to come from the weep hole on the side of the metal part of the pump? Maybe the o-ring isn't seated or something? If it wasn't a $500 part I'd just replace it but I'd rather know first Also, can these be rebuilt?

Thanks

TBarCYa

Yes the bravo pump. The impeller and housing were replaced a couple months ago so I'm assuming it's the bearing that's letting water by.

alldodge

Staff member
Assuming the assembly does not have a low pressure fuel pump installed with, then your good

TBarCYa

What does the fuel pump have to do with it? It HAD the mechanical fuel pump but I removed it in favor of an electric pump

alldodge

Staff member
What does the fuel pump have to do with it? It HAD the mechanical fuel pump but I removed it in favor of an electric pump

The mechanical low pressure fuel pump requires gear lube inside the area where the pump rod would be. The pump rod and cam need to be lubricated. This area needs to be checked for clean lube and not gas dilution yearly

Since the pump has been removed, then you should be OK with just replacing the bearings with the sealed type listed on the ebay site.

TBarCYa

Ok that makes sense. I was planning on putting lube in there afterwards anyway.