Bellows Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
It seems a video would help here to explain this.

Anyone know of a good video to explain bellows service --

and also you should try to be aware of related items to inspect & consider replacing during this service such as
u-joints,
trim sender & switch,
shift cable,
gimbal bearing,
shift shaft seals
Presssure testing

I do know that the tools pay for them selves in 1 usage --

I purchased new trim sender/switch since mine are bad and knowing i'll have access.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Quicksilver power tune is the same as carb cleaner at you local auto parts store for less $ and this stuff works.

So how does carb cleaner make the locking ring install easily? It's not like its lubricant?

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
+1 on the hinge pin tool...

And if you are replacing the shift cable... Tape a pull cord on the end BEFORE you pull it out! So many people come here and start with "I just pull the shift cable out. How do I get the new one in?" :facepalm:

Chris........

lol ok, not replacing the shift cable.....but have the hing pin tool!

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
The power tune acts like a lubricant as it goes on and then dries up.

Yup, naptha is a petroleum based solvent (in powertune, in combination with a secret sauce of other solvents) which contains petroleum distilates which can act very much as a lubricant but will also flash off to a vapor leaving "essentially" nothing behind. Think of kerosene (contains paraffins etc, which will make a great lube, but then will evaporate).

To be honest, theres probably quite a list of things that would work for installing the bellows ring like naptha, mineral spirits, kerosene, etc, but I wouldn't be willing to try anything in the off chance it reacts with the rubber bellows and dissolves it...

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was being somewhat rhetorical about thee comment on using carb cleaner WHICH IS NOT slippery. I'll just get the power tune.

fishrdan

Admiral
I used paint thinner when I replaced just the exhaust bellows, without removing the drive. (Yes quite a pain, but I was fishing the next day and didn't want tear the drive off.) The bellows, gimble housing and bell housing were coated with tacked-up 3M weatherstrip adhesive, but they didn't "stick" while coated with paint thinner, they easily slid together.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Just be careful using 'other' products. You don't want something that will attack the rubber and deteriorate it. That's why we recommend Power Tune, and not other stuff. We don't know what affect the other stuff will have on the rubber...

Chris....

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm completely on the same page ! I need this boat to work ( at least for one season). Question is i see different variations of quicksilver power tune on amazon. One thats cheaper "Mecury/quicksilver W poer tune and Mecuroty enginer power tune. Both seem to be for same purpose but one is about half the cost?

scoflaw

Ensign
I'm completely on the same page ! I need this boat to work ( at least for one season). Question is i see different variations of quicksilver power tune on amazon. One thats cheaper "Mecury/quicksilver W poer tune and Mecuroty enginer power tune. Both seem to be for same purpose but one is about half the cost?

Your over thinking this. All that weasel **** works.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
I know you mentioned you are not changing the shift cable, but if you are changing the shift bellow the cable has to get pulled through. If you pull it through, tie a piece of string to it beforehand as Chris mentioned so you can pull it back through the transom without issue. I would definitely recommend changing that bellow at this time since you will have everything apart.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Only change the shift cable bellows if it warrants change. Don't change it just for the sake of changing it. Check its condition, then if it's fine, leave it alone!

Chris.....

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
Hello,

This winter I want to replace my Bellows + Gimbal bearing + UJoints,
Does the bellow adhesive is needed on Gimbal Bellow, Exhaust + Shift cable?
Do I have to change the shift cable also? and why Achris You said that there is no need for changing shift cable bellow?

Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.