Bellows Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I called the local marine mechanic to see what a ball park $$ would be to have them install my transom repair kit, if i get cold feet. They quoted ~ $500 - $800. He also mentioned there is no way to install the drive bellows without the bellows expansion tool- but i recall reading and seeing videos that suggest otherwise? Not sure which route to go, I am mechanically able, but hope i didnt underestimate, seems like a lot of special tools are needed that I read posts where people used other means to avoid spending the $$ for them.

harringtondav

Commander
The bellows expander tool can be found for <$30. The only other special tool needed is the drive shaft bellows retaining ring driver. $25. $55 is a bargain vs. the shop charges. You'll have to remove the upper shift shaft to use the expander tool. This may take a little heat to remove the screw.

Bellows tool.jpgretaining ring tool.jpg

Alumarine

Captain
I've tried the various home made tools and found while they may work the type that harringtondav shows work much better.
Money well spent in my mind.

thumpar

Admiral
I made a tool from carriage bolts and pvc pipe. It worked but I would buy the tool if I was to do it again.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
They quoted ~ $500 - $800. He also mentioned there is no way to install the drive bellows without the bellows expansion tool- but i recall reading and seeing videos that suggest otherwise?

Are we talking about the exhaust bellows tools ?

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
The drive ( u-joint ) bellows. I didnt know there were 2 different Bellows tools? I thought it was just the one expansion tool that could do both drive and exhaust bellows?

thumpar

Admiral
You don't use an expanding tool for the u-joint bellows. The only tool for the u-joint bellows is the ring install tool but I don't think everyone uses it.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
On an Alpha 1 Gen 2, don't bother with the ring install tool. Just get a can of Quicksilver Power Tune and you can slide that ring on by hand. Super easy.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
On an Alpha 1 Gen 2, don't bother with the ring install tool. Just get a can of Quicksilver Power Tune and you can slide that ring on by hand. Super easy.

That is what achris mentioned also. So the u-joint bellows goes on transom side first with adhesive, then collar, then onto bell housing, then pop the ring in, then collar?

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
It seems a video would help here to explain this.

Anyone know of a good video to explain bellows service --

and also you should try to be aware of related items to inspect & consider replacing during this service such as
u-joints,
trim sender & switch,
shift cable,
gimbal bearing,
shift shaft seals
Presssure testing

I do know that the tools pay for them selves in 1 usage --

scoflaw

Ensign
Quicksilver power tune is the same as carb cleaner at you local auto parts store for less $ and this stuff works.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
That is what achris mentioned also. So the u-joint bellows goes on transom side first with adhesive, then collar, then onto bell housing, then pop the ring in, then collar?

Will this work?

That's the sequence I do it in... :thumb: (assuming the first 'collar' is the hose clamp. But once the locking ring is in the bell housing, nothing more. No 'collar' at that end)

achris.........

harringtondav

Commander
I forgot one special tool you'll need to remove the bell housing if you're planning on replacing the shift cable bellows, which I recommend. It can cause more leaks than the drive shaft bellows.

$15 if you shop for it. It's a perfect 12 point match for hinge pin removal. I've read that a square drive male on a 1/2 socket will work, but the sock up torque is 90 ft. lb. And the factory used tough loctite, so break away will be more. This tool would bring your investment to $70. That and your cost for the rebuild kit is still a bargain vs. the shop , considering you have the skills.

You'll have to pull the lower shift cable out through the gimbal plate. Check out Boatinfo.com for Merc manual #14, or consult the pros on this forum.

hinge pin tool.jpg

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I agree with harringtondav , get the 12 point socket tool above. I've also heard a1/2 inch Allen wrench will also fit but if you mangle up those hinge pins, you'll be in a world of hurt.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I agree with harringtondav , get the 12 point socket tool above. I've also heard a1/2 inch Allen wrench will also fit but if you mangle up those hinge pins, you'll be in a world of hurt.

+1 on the hinge pin tool...

And if you are replacing the shift cable... Tape a pull cord on the end BEFORE you pull it out! So many people come here and start with "I just pull the shift cable out. How do I get the new one in?" :facepalm:

Chris........

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Quicksilver power tune is the same as carb cleaner at you local auto parts store for less $ and this stuff works.

Sorry, but disagree. Power Tune is super slippery- it's become my go-to spray for anything that doesn't slide together easily. The stuff is amazing and a far cry from carb cleaner.

My .02

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Looked at the sds for powertune and the majority is naptha... a little expensive for an aerosol can of naptha but it really IS the bees knees for a lot of merc stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.