No announcement yet.

Bellows Install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot one special tool you'll need to remove the bell housing if you're planning on replacing the shift cable bellows, which I recommend. It can cause more leaks than the drive shaft bellows.

$15 if you shop for it. It's a perfect 12 point match for hinge pin removal. I've read that a square drive male on a 1/2 socket will work, but the sock up torque is 90 ft. lb. And the factory used tough loctite, so break away will be more. This tool would bring your investment to $70. That and your cost for the rebuild kit is still a bargain vs. the shop , considering you have the skills.

You'll have to pull the lower shift cable out through the gimbal plate. Check out Boatinfo.com for Merc manual #14, or consult the pros on this forum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hinge pin tool.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	10695561

'96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

I agree with harringtondav , get the 12 point socket tool above. I've also heard a1/2 inch Allen wrench will also fit but if you mangle up those hinge pins, you'll be in a world of hurt.
      1996 Bayliner Capri 2050 40th Anniv Edition - 5.7 Merc - UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Check out my Youtube channel for a documentation of my 96 Bayliner restoration:
      https://www.youtube.com/user/jross82785

How to rebuild a 2 barrel Mercarb:
      https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ructions-video

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Props View Post
        I agree with harringtondav , get the 12 point socket tool above. I've also heard a1/2 inch Allen wrench will also fit but if you mangle up those hinge pins, you'll be in a world of hurt.
        +1 on the hinge pin tool...

And if you are replacing the shift cable... Tape a pull cord on the end BEFORE you pull it out! So many people come here and start with "I just pull the shift cable out. How do I get the new one in?"

Chris........
        xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
        1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
        2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
        (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

Originally posted by scoflaw View Post
          Quicksilver power tune is the same as carb cleaner at you local auto parts store for less $ and this stuff works.
          Sorry, but disagree. Power Tune is super slippery- it's become my go-to spray for anything that doesn't slide together easily. The stuff is amazing and a far cry from carb cleaner.

My .02
          John and Linda
          Long Island, NY
          Escapade III
          1992 Carver 26 Command Bridge
          Twin Merc Alpha 4.3 'Gen +'

Comment

Looked at the sds for powertune and the majority is naptha... a little expensive for an aerosol can of naptha but it really IS the bees knees for a lot of merc stuff

Comment

ok thanks

Comment

Originally posted by wellcraft-classic210 View Post
                It seems a video would help here to explain this.

Anyone know of a good video to explain bellows service --

and also you should try to be aware of related items to inspect & consider replacing during this service such as
                u-joints,
                trim sender & switch,
                shift cable,
                gimbal bearing,
                shift shaft seals
                Presssure testing

I do know that the tools pay for them selves in 1 usage --
                I purchased new trim sender/switch since mine are bad and knowing i'll have access.

Comment

Originally posted by scoflaw View Post
                  Quicksilver power tune is the same as carb cleaner at you local auto parts store for less $ and this stuff works.
                  So how does carb cleaner make the locking ring install easily? It's not like its lubricant?

Comment

Originally posted by achris View Post

+1 on the hinge pin tool...

And if you are replacing the shift cable... Tape a pull cord on the end BEFORE you pull it out! So many people come here and start with "I just pull the shift cable out. How do I get the new one in?"

Chris........
                    lol ok, not replacing the shift cable.....but have the hing pin tool!

Comment

Originally posted by kulle View Post

So how does carb cleaner make the locking ring install easily? It's not like its lubricant?
                      The power tune acts like a lubricant as it goes on and then dries up.
                      83 Sunrunner 16.5 120 merc Alpha 1 drive SOLD 8/1/13

1996 Crownline 202BR
                      5.7l EFI 0f791070
                      Bravo I drive

GMC Yukon tow rig

Comment

Originally posted by thumpar View Post

The power tune acts like a lubricant as it goes on and then dries up.
                        Yup, naptha is a petroleum based solvent (in powertune, in combination with a secret sauce of other solvents) which contains petroleum distilates which can act very much as a lubricant but will also flash off to a vapor leaving "essentially" nothing behind. Think of kerosene (contains paraffins etc, which will make a great lube, but then will evaporate).

To be honest, theres probably quite a list of things that would work for installing the bellows ring like naptha, mineral spirits, kerosene, etc, but I wouldn't be willing to try anything in the off chance it reacts with the rubber bellows and dissolves it...

Comment

Originally posted by kulle View Post

It works exactly like power tune. Makes rubber real slippery and dries quickly
                          1999 Powerquest 260 legend
                          502 mpi
                          B1

Comment

I was being somewhat rhetorical about thee comment on using carb cleaner WHICH IS NOT slippery. I'll just get the power tune.

Comment

I used paint thinner when I replaced just the exhaust bellows, without removing the drive. (Yes quite a pain, but I was fishing the next day and didn't want tear the drive off.) The bellows, gimble housing and bell housing were coated with tacked-up 3M weatherstrip adhesive, but they didn't "stick" while coated with paint thinner, they easily slid together.
                              2001 Crestliner SuperHawk 1800, Mercruiser 140HP
                              2007 Tracker 1436 jon boat, 7.5HP Force

Comment

Just be careful using 'other' products. You don't want something that will attack the rubber and deteriorate it. That's why we recommend Power Tune, and not other stuff. We don't know what affect the other stuff will have on the rubber...

Chris....
                                xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
                                1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
                                2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
                                (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

Working...
                                X