2010 Mercruiser 4.3 TKS Drain plug stuck

kjp17

Cadet
When I went to winterize and remove the plugs this year, one plug was stuck. It was so stuck that the wings broke off. Luckily it was fit into a different piece, that i was able to remove (see picture). I do not know what this piece is actually called, and cannot find an exact match. I also found the piece to be full of black gunk. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo306744.jpg
    photo306744.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • photo306745.jpg
    photo306745.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • photo306746.jpg
    photo306746.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Any merc dealer will have that part, comes in a kit with a new plastic plug. That usually happens when:
you install the plug too tight
you install the plug with no grease
you fail to remove the plug for winterizing for a few years.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hardin Marine sells stainless versions of that @#$%@#$ plug

the black gunk as you call it is common on the insides of motors. this is why you must pull the plugs and probe the drains

that black gunk is why the newer mercruiser single point drain systems will bust your block.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hardin Marine sells stainless versions of that @#$%@#$ plug

the black gunk as you call it is common on the insides of motors. this is why you must pull the plugs and probe the drains

that black gunk is why the newer mercruiser single point drain systems will bust your block.

Newer? That block cracking piece of junk has been around for more than 10 years!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
which is newer than the little blue winged plugs in the adapters by a few years.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
which is newer than the little blue winged plugs in the adapters by a few years.

Yeah, not their finest hour... Fortunately I don't have to deal with any of that bollocks here. 'Winterizing' consists of putting on some warmer tee-shirts... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

(A REALLY cold night is about 5 degrees, 40 in 'Funny' temps)