Bellhousing cleaning

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How do you guys clean the gasket off the bellhousing before you put the drive on. Its aluminum so you dont wanna gouge. You shouldn't use a 3m waffle pad. Even a sharp razor blade you could gouge it hhhmmm

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
usually just pull it off unless somebody glued it on, you can use a sharp knife carefully

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
and if you nick the paint, you then touch up the paint

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a rattle can of zinc primer and a rattle can of black paint

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
There was some slight corrosion on mine when I took it off, so I used 120 grit sandpaper and slightly sanded the trough to smooth it out a bit and remove any flaking/loose paint. After cleaning it up I shot it with zinc filler primer with several coats and sanded again. This filled any of the deeper pitting. Then after another quick coat of primer and black rattle can paint, it was good enough for the girls I go out with...

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When removing glued on or stuck gaskets, try warming them with a heat gun or even a propane torch, they'll scrape off easily.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
How about a spray-on gasket dissolver?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I use a paint scraper and a scotchbrite pad. No need to go postal on the thing. Just scrape and rub gently until the residue is gone.

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok another question I'm wanting to replace the seal that keeps the water off the splines also. On the alpha one water pump replacement video chris made he pops it out. What is that part number on that seal