Batteries

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So, I hate to ask the question as have seen so many discussions about battery types with even more varying costs. I'm not spending 600 bucks on a couple of batteries.

I have an Express cruiser with a 350 mpi. I have a fridge in the cabin...it has a pretty large amp that came with the boat but don't know much about it. I have an LED TV. I have two batteries and I have a generator. I bought a new starter battery 4 years ago- it is a heavy sucker and large- but does not have any info on it other than it came from batteries plus. The house battery may be ok .I'm charging it and it seems to be holding 12 v and will get it load tested. It is a marine battery that came from Auto zone. Any reasonable guidance will be appreciated. I don't go out in the middle of the ocean do not worried about the latest and gereatest!

alldodge

Staff member
What is the actual question(s)?

Don't know if your asking about your current bats (prior to load testing) or if they need to be replaced, how much capacity needed for fridge and TV, Gen recharge :noidea:

rickasbury

S9rry, replacing both probably...what cca do I need for starting and what should I get for the house? Seems most of our power usage is sitting on shore power....other than that usually underway and the kids will watch the TV...frige and radio will be going....sometimes if it's to to for the little wussies I will run the Genny for a/c....

rickasbury

I'm not used to what this new phone does with auto fill!

alldodge

Staff member
So long as you have power to fire up the Gen you can always recharge the bats

The house should be a deep cycle and get the largest you can afford and that will fit in the bat box/try. Look for amp hr capacity

Starting, suggest at least 650 CCA, but again more is better. Getting AGM is even better. Sam's club as Duracell AGM at a good price

wrench 3

Commander
We're running a 26' aft cabin with fridge, water pump, lights, no TV but quite often two laptops. A 27 series deep cycle with 750 cranking amps, 160 reserve capacity and 88 amp hours will run everything for a full day.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a group 24 starting battery with a pair of group 27 batteries for the house loads

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
30 ft Mariner flybridge,
twin 5.7 mercruisers
fridge, TV/ DVD
normal cabin lighting,
no laptops etc
3 batteries
house is 1200 cca
start batteries are 750's l think,
house battery is a big bugger to lug around and l think is a bit on the large size,

but boat does have three auto bilge pumps too,

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Your engine owners manual will list the “minimum” CCA/MCA for your engines.
MPI engines can be touchy about cranking voltage. Get at least the minimum.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Don't get hung up on house battery CCA rating. Ideally if you are buying the correct battery it won't even have a CCA rating, true deep cycles usually don't. If it does, it is probably a mixed use deep cycle/starting battery.

rickasbury

Thanks all for the input....did a little searching, looks like auto zone has a pretty good group of batteries to select from and not expensive at all. These gel pack/matt glass mumbo jumbo batteries can sure get into some money and I just don't think I need them for what I do....the ones I had lasted 4 years, well 2 and a half with the rest of it sitting pending repair which I'm sure was the worst thing for them.

wrench 3

Commander
Thanks all for the input....did a little searching, looks like auto zone has a pretty good group of batteries to select from and not expensive at all. These gel pack/matt glass mumbo jumbo batteries can sure get into some money and I just don't think I need them for what I do....the ones I had lasted 4 years, well 2 and a half with the rest of it sitting pending repair which I'm sure was the worst thing for them.

In the off season or when they're not in use for any other reason you should top up the charge every two months. That's what Interstate does with the batteries that they have out on consignment.

rickasbury

good suggestion that I have heard often- thinking about one of those solar charges you see on boats sitting at marinas....mainly on sailboats...anyone have any experience with such? I see them pretty cheap these days....

alldodge

Staff member
Most the solar chargers are for maintenance charging only. They don't put out enough to recharge a bat when its low. Mention most because I'm sure there are larger ones, just have not found anyone using

rickasbury

That's what I was looking at for...just to keep topped off...

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I have a 1600mA trickle charger that gets hooked to the batteries when the boat's in the shed (which is all the time when I'm not using it). Keeps the batteries in good condition and a ready to good when I need them, and extends their life considerably. (Quickest way to kill a battery is to let it discharge too far)..

Chris.......

charger.JPG

Last edited:

rickasbury

Where I store I have no access to power which makes me think about the solar...just keep some juice in them...

rickasbury

My house is 8 miles away...JK, I don't think they would be receptive to that....would love to be able to plug it in and run a fan in there, that would be sweet!