Batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries

So, I hate to ask the question as have seen so many discussions about battery types with even more varying costs. I'm not spending 600 bucks on a couple of batteries.

I have an Express cruiser with a 350 mpi. I have a fridge in the cabin...it has a pretty large amp that came with the boat but don't know much about it. I have an LED TV. I have two batteries and I have a generator. I bought a new starter battery 4 years ago- it is a heavy sucker and large- but does not have any info on it other than it came from batteries plus. The house battery may be ok .I'm charging it and it seems to be holding 12 v and will get it load tested. It is a marine battery that came from Auto zone. Any reasonable guidance will be appreciated. I don't go out in the middle of the ocean do not worried about the latest and gereatest!

What is the actual question(s)?

Don't know if your asking about your current bats (prior to load testing) or if they need to be replaced, how much capacity needed for fridge and TV, Gen recharge
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 Seadoo GTX
    Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

S9rry, replacing both probably...what cca do I need for starting and what should I get for the house? Seems most of our power usage is sitting on shore power....other than that usually underway and the kids will watch the TV...frige and radio will be going....sometimes if it's to to for the little wussies I will run the Genny for a/c....

Comment

I'm not used to what this new phone does with auto fill!

Comment

So long as you have power to fire up the Gen you can always recharge the bats

The house should be a deep cycle and get the largest you can afford and that will fit in the bat box/try. Look for amp hr capacity

Starting, suggest at least 650 CCA, but again more is better. Getting AGM is even better. Sam's club as Duracell AGM at a good price
          07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

We're running a 26' aft cabin with fridge, water pump, lights, no TV but quite often two laptops. A 27 series deep cycle with 750 cranking amps, 160 reserve capacity and 88 amp hours will run everything for a full day.
            "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."

Comment

I have a group 24 starting battery with a pair of group 27 batteries for the house loads
              Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
              1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
              2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
              1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

30 ft Mariner flybridge,
                twin 5.7 mercruisers
                fridge, TV/ DVD
                normal cabin lighting,
                no laptops etc
                3 batteries
                house is 1200 cca
                start batteries are 750's l think,
                house battery is a big bugger to lug around and l think is a bit on the large size,

but boat does have three auto bilge pumps too,

Comment

Your engine owners manual will list the “minimum” CCA/MCA for your engines.
                  MPI engines can be touchy about cranking voltage. Get at least the minimum.
                  Good Luck Muc

Comment

Don't get hung up on house battery CCA rating. Ideally if you are buying the correct battery it won't even have a CCA rating, true deep cycles usually don't. If it does, it is probably a mixed use deep cycle/starting battery.

Comment

Thanks all for the input....did a little searching, looks like auto zone has a pretty good group of batteries to select from and not expensive at all. These gel pack/matt glass mumbo jumbo batteries can sure get into some money and I just don't think I need them for what I do....the ones I had lasted 4 years, well 2 and a half with the rest of it sitting pending repair which I'm sure was the worst thing for them.

Comment

Originally posted by rickasbury View Post
                        Thanks all for the input....did a little searching, looks like auto zone has a pretty good group of batteries to select from and not expensive at all. These gel pack/matt glass mumbo jumbo batteries can sure get into some money and I just don't think I need them for what I do....the ones I had lasted 4 years, well 2 and a half with the rest of it sitting pending repair which I'm sure was the worst thing for them.
                        In the off season or when they're not in use for any other reason you should top up the charge every two months. That's what Interstate does with the batteries that they have out on consignment.
                        "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."

Comment

good suggestion that I have heard often- thinking about one of those solar charges you see on boats sitting at marinas....mainly on sailboats...anyone have any experience with such? I see them pretty cheap these days....

Comment

Most the solar chargers are for maintenance charging only. They don't put out enough to recharge a bat when its low. Mention most because I'm sure there are larger ones, just have not found anyone using
                            07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

That's what I was looking at for...just to keep topped off...

Comment

Working...
                              X