Replacing risers and manifolds

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Manifold riser update. Ok my new risers and manifolds showed up. Ok these are sierra brand. One thing is the gasket surfaces were painted. So I was thinking I dont like that. I figure they should be cleaned off. So I thought about grabbing a piece of glass and some sand paper and planing them out. I could use the paint to find out when there perfectly flat. I also got new water shutters installed. Here is what I did

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I need something a little tougher. I have 400 and 600 grit. Used that on aluminum but this steel I believe I need something more aggressive. Any body have any suggestions about a good paper for planing steel

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Nope. Leave the paint ON... It protects the surface from being the point where the rust starts. Take the paint off and you'll reduce the time before those surfaces become corroded enough to let water into the engine. And that's a bad thing...

Chris.......

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nope. Leave the paint ON... It protects the surface from being the point where the rust starts. Take the paint off and you'll reduce the time before those surfaces become corroded enough to let water into the engine. And that's a bad thing...

Chris.......
aaawww $$$$ should I repaint the surface and if so what kind of paint

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok update on this thread. I ended up cleaning the paint up off the mating surfaces. I got the straight edge and feeler gauges out and there was a few wavy spots in the paint. I'm sure not to bother with anything but what the hell. Done had one cleaned and I have seen where people do it both ways. Did put a thin coat of that copper seal on the mating surfaces whether it was right or wrong but figured maybe that help protect it. Got port side installed waiting on new exhaust gasket for starboard. Got damaged in shipping. But I also got new distributor pickup installed and wired and also got new cap installed. Get manifold elbow. Get my plug wires on and carbutetor I'll be ready to service the drive next

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
By the way cliff went through my quadrabog and said it had automotive parts in it from the rebuild last time. He said the needle and seat is bigger on a marine application and the fuel pump pushrod is a little shorter.anyways he does good work it seems like will see how she runs out this spring

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I torque these elbow gaskets to the same specs in the book right. I torqued the port side to 28 foot pounds. Just wanting to make sure 20190116_132750-756x1008.jpg