Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190109_021648-756x1008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	10694796

Comment

Originally posted by midnightrider1818 View Post
      You can take wet joint risers and convert them over to dry joint. What all do you need to do to convert over to that.
      Wet joint elbows will not go on dry joint manifolds, or visa versa... To convert over, you need manifolds AND elbows to the be dry joint... And no, you can't 'convert' manifolds or elbows that are one type to the other...

Originally posted by midnightrider1818 View Post
      Ok update everybody keeping with this thread. Achris was right flappers were stuck in the tube about 2 feet down probably. Was able to fish them out with a wire and a scope. Took about 45 min with these tools. Nice thing was I was able to pull em up side by side and the exhaust kind of held them so they wouldnt slide back down. Anyways here they are. The metal rod and looks like a o ring are still down there but mo way of getting them they will just have to stay. Tried about a 1 hr on them and was afraid I was gonna scratch the scope so called it quits on those. They will have to stay
      Nice job finding the bits. They would have stayed in there and eventually wore a hole in the tube... Sinking boat will ensue.
      The 'o' rings are fine. likely get blown out with exhaust gases the next time you're at WOT....

Chris......
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
      1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
      2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
      (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

You should be able to fish out the remnants the next time you remove your outdrive for its annual service/inspection.
        1990 Wellcraft Eclipse 196
        Mercruiser Vortec 4.3 0M322285
        Alpha gen 1

Comment

Originally posted by achris View Post

Wet joint elbows will not go on dry joint manifolds, or visa versa... To convert over, you need manifolds AND elbows to the be dry joint... And no, you can't 'convert' manifolds or elbows that are one type to the other...

Nice job finding the bits. They would have stayed in there and eventually wore a hole in the tube... Sinking boat will ensue.
          The 'o' rings are fine. likely get blown out with exhaust gases the next time you're at WOT....

Chris......
          Man kind of wish now I would of bought dry joint risers and manifolds instead of new wet joint. What all is involved in the conversion.

Comment

There's nothing involved in the conversion. You just bolt them on exactly as you do with the old style...

Comment

There's nothing involved in the conversion. You just bolt them on exactly as you do with the old style...
              Even the hoses go to the same spots on the risers and manifolds. They are 100 percent a bolt on and go

Comment

Manifold riser update. Ok my new risers and manifolds showed up. Ok these are sierra brand. One thing is the gasket surfaces were painted. So I was thinking I dont like that. I figure they should be cleaned off. So I thought about grabbing a piece of glass and some sand paper and planing them out. I could use the paint to find out when there perfectly flat. I also got new water shutters installed. Here is what I did

Comment

Name:	20190110_002618-756x1008.jpg
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	10695068Click image for larger version

Name:	20190110_022447-756x1008.jpg
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	10695069Click image for larger version

Name:	20190110_014708-756x1008.jpg
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	10695070Click image for larger version

Name:	20190110_020618-756x1008.jpg
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	10695071

Comment

Name:	20190110_014718-756x1008.jpg
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	10695073

Comment

I think I need something a little tougher. I have 400 and 600 grit. Used that on aluminum but this steel I believe I need something more aggressive. Any body have any suggestions about a good paper for planing steel

Comment

Nope. Leave the paint ON... It protects the surface from being the point where the rust starts. Take the paint off and you'll reduce the time before those surfaces become corroded enough to let water into the engine. And that's a bad thing...

Chris.......

Comment

Nope. Leave the paint ON... It protects the surface from being the point where the rust starts. Take the paint off and you'll reduce the time before those surfaces become corroded enough to let water into the engine. And that's a bad thing...

Chris.......
                          aaawww $$$$ should I repaint the surface and if so what kind of paint

Comment

I would repaint. Rattle can would be ok.

Comment

Ok update on this thread. I ended up cleaning the paint up off the mating surfaces. I got the straight edge and feeler gauges out and there was a few wavy spots in the paint. I'm sure not to bother with anything but what the hell. Done had one cleaned and I have seen where people do it both ways. Did put a thin coat of that copper seal on the mating surfaces whether it was right or wrong but figured maybe that help protect it. Got port side installed waiting on new exhaust gasket for starboard. Got damaged in shipping. But I also got new distributor pickup installed and wired and also got new cap installed. Get manifold elbow. Get my plug wires on and carbutetor I'll be ready to service the drive next

Comment

By the way cliff went through my quadrabog and said it had automotive parts in it from the rebuild last time. He said the needle and seat is bigger on a marine application and the fuel pump pushrod is a little shorter.anyways he does good work it seems like will see how she runs out this spring

Comment

Working...
                                X