Replacing risers and manifolds

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I'm thinking about replacing my risers and manifolds. Question is should I do both or just the risers. I believe these are original. And when I look at riser gaskets it says most normal are two slots and two pin holes or I could select 4 slotted gaskets. Any opinions on this. Also this is a 89 mercruiser 305. 5.0lx

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
You may want to inspect them first for corrosion etc. -- if they are freshwater only they could still have life left on them.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Do you have any signs of them leaking at the gasket between the manifold and the exhaust elbow? If so then for sure an inspection is warranted. You want to see how much flaking rust there is inside the cooling passages, is there any rust in the exhaust gas passage (sign of water leaking inside) and if the sealing surfaces are still good or getting eroded. In salt water we have to replace them about every 5-7 years. Freshwater they can last much longer but that's an 89, 30 years is a long time.

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Riser update

Ok fellas, pulled risers and manifolds and to my surprise at least to me they didnt look to bad. Reason I pulled port side started to leak between riser and manifold. Anyways what do you guys think. Should I replace or should I maybe take to machine shop and have surfaces trued up and run. Can you tell if these are original. Also I need to replace exhaust flappers. Port missing starboard good. Is this anything to be concerned with. Should i try to fish it out of there

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
20190107_020724-756x1008.jpg

Attachments

• 20190107_021058-756x1008.jpg
    20190107_021058-756x1008.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190107_021113-756x1008.jpg
    20190107_021113-756x1008.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190107_020538-756x1008.jpg
    20190107_020538-756x1008.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 0

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
20190107_020503-756x1008.jpg20190107_020512-756x1008.jpg

Attachments

• 20190107_020451-756x1008.jpg
    20190107_020451-756x1008.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190107_020527-756x1008.jpg
    20190107_020527-756x1008.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
First thing I notice is that your have the old style shutters... They need to be changed...

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...ters-explained

As for the one that's missing, you need to pull the drive and start looking for it. It could be jammed in the bottom of the Y-pipe, lodged in the drive somewhere, or has traveled all the way through the drive... Only when you KNOW it's not jammed somewhere should you start putting things back together.

Chris.......

Last edited:

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah I'm gonna work at getting that out of there. Where do they mostly end up at. Can you use a magnet to get them or how do you do it. I have a friend that owns a scope I reckon I could run through it. Also could you send me the link chris for the new style flappers I need. I believe my pipe is the 4 inch oval but I'll double check. Also could that flapper plug off that exhaust port. Read your water shutter post and seen bow it wore a hole in the pipe. Thanks man

achris

Yeah I'm gonna work at getting that out of there. Where do they mostly end up at.

Jammed in the bottom of the Y-pipe, or caught up on the upper shift shaft in the bell housing, or lodged in the bearing carrier in the lower housing, or shot straight out... That's what you need to determine... Pull the drive and have a look..If it's not there, start looking down the Y-pipe... You need to be SURE it's not there...

Can you use a magnet to get them or how do you do it.

They're stainless. No a magnet won't help you.

I have a friend WHO owns a scope I reckon I could run through it.

That would help..

Also could you send me the link chris for the new style flappers I need. I believe my pipe is the 4 inch oval but I'll double check.

Part numbers are in the document I posted the link to in my last post.

Also could that flapper plug off that exhaust port.

Possible, but unlikely. The exhaust gas flow would flip it round.

Read your water shutter post and seen bow it wore a hole in the pipe. Thanks man
It did... When I was 25 nautical miles out to sea! :eek:

Chris......

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well pulled drive found no remnants of shutter. Did not see it stuck in the y pipe at the bottom but I'll run a scope through just to be sure. Went ahead and ordered a new set of risers and manifolds. I bought sierra. What do you guys think about this kit. Read that you wanna use the metal gaskets with graphite in them between the manifold and risers. Anyways this is the kit I bought.

Chris51280

Master Chief Petty Officer
I followed your post and learned that I need my shutters replaced too. Thanks achris . If the elbows look ok, can just the manifolds be replaced? I have one that was welded and don't trust anymore. Are the original risers compatible with the aftermarket sierra brand? Didn't mean to hijack this one but after I saw the riser and manifold replacement thread I thought it may be answered here

achris

I followed your post and learned that I need my shutters replaced too. Thanks achris . If the elbows look ok, can just the manifolds be replaced? I have one that was welded and don't trust anymore. Are the original risers compatible with the aftermarket sierra brand? Didn't mean to hijack this one but after I saw the riser and manifold replacement thread I thought it may be answered here

Yes, within the 'series' all parts are interchangeable. You can use Sierra manifolds with Merc elbows. But if you are going that far, the elbows are likely close to needing to be replaced anyway, why not jump all the way to dry joints?

Dry joint elbows and manifolds are plenty better than the 'wet-joint'... And some of the aftermarket makers are now doing them. I know HGE are...

Seriously, look at dry joint....

Chris.....

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You can take wet joint risers and convert them over to dry joint. What all do you need to do to convert over to that.

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok update everybody keeping with this thread. Achris was right flappers were stuck in the tube about 2 feet down probably. Was able to fish them out with a wire and a scope. Took about 45 min with these tools. Nice thing was I was able to pull em up side by side and the exhaust kind of held them so they wouldnt slide back down. Anyways here they are. The metal rod and looks like a o ring are still down there but mo way of getting them they will just have to stay. Tried about a 1 hr on them and was afraid I was gonna scratch the scope so called it quits on those. They will have to stay

achris

You can take wet joint risers and convert them over to dry joint. What all do you need to do to convert over to that.

Wet joint elbows will not go on dry joint manifolds, or visa versa... To convert over, you need manifolds AND elbows to the be dry joint... And no, you can't 'convert' manifolds or elbows that are one type to the other...

Ok update everybody keeping with this thread. Achris was right flappers were stuck in the tube about 2 feet down probably. Was able to fish them out with a wire and a scope. Took about 45 min with these tools. Nice thing was I was able to pull em up side by side and the exhaust kind of held them so they wouldnt slide back down. Anyways here they are. The metal rod and looks like a o ring are still down there but mo way of getting them they will just have to stay. Tried about a 1 hr on them and was afraid I was gonna scratch the scope so called it quits on those. They will have to stay

Nice job finding the bits. They would have stayed in there and eventually wore a hole in the tube... Sinking boat will ensue.
The 'o' rings are fine. likely get blown out with exhaust gases the next time you're at WOT.... :D

Chris......

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
You should be able to fish out the remnants the next time you remove your outdrive for its annual service/inspection.

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wet joint elbows will not go on dry joint manifolds, or visa versa... To convert over, you need manifolds AND elbows to the be dry joint... And no, you can't 'convert' manifolds or elbows that are one type to the other...

Nice job finding the bits. They would have stayed in there and eventually wore a hole in the tube... Sinking boat will ensue.
The 'o' rings are fine. likely get blown out with exhaust gases the next time you're at WOT.... :D

Chris......

Man kind of wish now I would of bought dry joint risers and manifolds instead of new wet joint. What all is involved in the conversion.

achris

There's nothing involved in the conversion. You just bolt them on exactly as you do with the old style...