Riser spacer question

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Which riser would you use, I'm going from a half fwc system to a full and want to include the riser in the fwc side.

Attachments

• photo306574.jpg
    photo306574.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo306575.jpg
    photo306575.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
What's the engine (Year, model and serial number please)? Those 2 in the picture are for different engines....

Chris....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I'm going from a half fwc system to a full and want to include the riser in the fwc side.

Why? a gasket seals off the 2 systems
Do you have the height to install a riser?
You also need an engine mounted raw water pump, outdrive impellers will not supply enough water flow

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What's the engine (Year, model and serial number please)? Those 2 in the picture are for different engines....

Chris....

Thanks Chris that's what I was wondering, I have a vp 5.7 Gsi its around a 2000 vintage. I'm putting on the merc manifolds and 4" elbows. The height of the top of the VP elbow is 1 1/2" higher that the merc setup without a spacer. I'm going to go out and try to measure the static water line today to see what the manufacturer set it at, but with the spacer I know it would be 1 1/2" higher than before and it never had a issue. I'm adding f6b-9 raw pump, relocating oil filter and other misc items need to be moved, and new larger off engine exchanger. Seakamps remote thermostat housing will tie in the manifold hoses.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I wouldnt be trying to put merc manifold on a VP

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Why would you try to put merc manifolds on a vp? I suspect you'll have some fittment issues, in no way should you lower riser height vs the waterline

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If you are going to use Merc manifolds on a VP exhaust set up, then I suggest you use dry-joint manifolds, risers and elbows.

And for everybody else, the engine is the same as a Merc, the manifolds, risers and elbows will be no problem. Adapting to the exhaust collect (Y-pipe) shouldn't be all that hard.

Chris......

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I thought of doing that (using the Merc dry joint) when I did my top end overhaul last year but I wound up just using the Volvo center riser set up because I knew it would fit right as long as I used the VP aluminum 90* exhaust elbows and hoses. The Merc design is definitely a better design and the next time if I can get a shop to lend me the parts I will do a trial fit.

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Volvo manifolds are not capable of fwc, that's why switching to mercs that are. Vp and mercs elbows are both 7 degree I don't foresee any fitment issues. My manifolds and elbows are due to change and heat exchanger is 19 years old. I will be going on my 6th set of manifold elbows combos since 2000 it's time to switch

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
achris , the y-pipe on a VP is a single piece, unlike the merc pile of parts

Fishhead-1 , who told you that VP manifolds are not compatable with HX cooling? The truth is the HX isnt sized for the extra heat load.

Go with stainless. Or the salt-away setup developed by Volvo