Alpha drive upper Trailer limit adjustment

mattcoll

Recruit
I might be asking an un-answerable question - but have searched and cannot find where this is covered - or maybe it isn't possible.

2004 Bayliner 195, with factory swim platform.
Mercruiser 5.0 MPI ALPHA drive, Stingray Classic SR Hydrofoil.

All is working "as designed" - no issues with trim or tilt operation.

But, when the leg is in the maximum trailering position, the added "Hydrofoil" touches the swim deck.

The wish is to "lower" the upper trailer "limit" position to prevent the foil touch the swim deck when raised.

But, from what i can find, this is just not possible - well, that is without modifiying the port "trim limit" switch.

Or is there some other way to ahcive this?

Thanks in advance.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Not a fan of hydrofoils myself. I remove them on anything I get.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
You have 2 "hockey puck" switches on the drive, one on each side. One is for trim limit- that's the normal trim/tilt limit switch. The other is for full up/trailer position. It's adjustable, too. Can't recall which way you turn it to set the limit up/down, but you can tweak it.

(also not a fan of hydrofoils)

My .02

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Or once its all the way up, bump it down just a tad. You should never keep the drive tilted at its max anyway

achris

More fish than mountain goat
You may be able to put limiters in the trim rams, but you would have to fabricate them yourself.

I'm with everybody else here. Get rid of the fin, more trouble than it's worth.

Chris....

achris

You have 2 "hockey puck" switches on the drive, one on each side. One is for trim limit- that's the normal trim/tilt limit switch. The other is for full up/trailer position. It's adjustable, too. Can't recall which way you turn it to set the limit up/down, but you can tweak it.

(also not a fan of hydrofoils)

My .02

ummmm, no.

Starboard "puck" is the sender for the trim gauge. Port "puck" is the trim limit switch. You might be able to adjust it so it acts as your stop point in trim, but you'd have to do some wiring changes to disable the tilt function...

Just get rid of the fin...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The only way to stop the up or trailer travel is to open the rams and install internal stops
achris, trim limit is set so the drive is not ripped off the transom Best option it to remove the whale tail That 5.0 on a 19 footer should have enough horsepower to get on plane rather quickly

achris

...achris, trim limit is set so the drive is not ripped off the transom...

Errr, no. Trim limit is set so the drive is still supported inside the gimbal ring lower extensions. It's to do with the side loading, not to stop it being 'ripped off the transom'...

And how would you explain my boat? I have no TRAILER button so I have to use TRIM all the way up. The trim limit switch isn't even connected.... And the drive has never been ripped off the transom. Not once.

Chris...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you have a factory trim button you should have a factory trailer one. May be a 2 step trim button .What I meant by "ripped off" is when the drive is raised outside of the support arms and excessive throttle is used.There is no problem using a trim button for trailer operation as long as you know what your doing

achris

I do have a factory trim button, but I definitely do not have a trailer button. And it's not a '2 step' button either. In the morning (it's 1.40am now) I'll photograph the control and send you the picture...

mattcoll

Recruit
Thanks BT Doctur/Achris for answering my question.

As for the "fin" - and for anyone reading this who is undecided on the value of a "fin" - I personally stand by them - for their intended purpose.

Sure, a 5.0MPI alpha on a 195 will have enough grunt to get out on the plane and run fast, if that's what you want.

But multi blade props (> 3 blades) and hydrofoils make a marked difference if you're normal operation is getting onto the plane at the lowest possible speed, and holding lower speeds, with a bow not seeking the sky. AND want to occasionally barefoot. The fin will help make this a more balanced rig.

But if all you need is to cruise around, from a to b then sure, a fin is not such a benefit.

I'm off to engineer a upper limit switch mechanism...

achris

You also know that fins should only be installed on boats where the engine has been installed using a higher 'X' dimension, don't you..... If you put a fin on a boat with the engine installed at 13" (the standard 'X' dimension), then at high speed the fin will still be in the water and will cause some seriously dangerous bow-steer characteristics.... But, reading between the lines, I think you would already know that... ;)

Chris......
BTW, I've seen the results of a fin on a standard height engine going too fast. Not pretty!

JoLin

Vice Admiral
ummmm, no.

Starboard "puck" is the sender for the trim gauge. Port "puck" is the trim limit switch. You might be able to adjust it so it acts as your stop point in trim, but you'd have to do some wiring changes to disable the tilt function...

Just get rid of the fin...

I stand corrected. Sorry for the misinformation

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you're normal operation is getting onto the plane at the lowest possible speed, and holding lower speeds, with a bow not seeking the sky.

That is what trim tabs are for

Fins put too much strain on the AV plate and really do not help with their "intended" purpose.