lower shift cable adjustment

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
so, end of a long saga )( and learning curves!) getting my motor back in (350 MPI in a 270 Rinker), out drive back on, up and running everything go good BUT- so back track a bit, had a leak and thought it was bellows so re did that along with gimbal on lower shift cable...still had a leak so pulled the motor and rebuilt the transom assembly with new gasket, all new parts and pieces and getting it finally back together.

So, fired it up- I don't recall that the lower unit was turning but more concerned I was pumping water through......then, figured I better put it in gear and see if it goes into gear smoothly forward and reverse looking to see if it does and it did....but I did not notice both in forward and reversed, the outdrive still spun in the same direction and when I put it back into neutral, is still kept moving....I have been looking all over for the shift adjustment and there seems to be varying opinions how to do it, what is yours? Would you think I have an issue with the engagement of the the cable and the outdrive? I'd sure hate to think I'd have to pull that back off at this point....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Alpha, Bravo, OMC, Volvo Penta????

Difficult to offer advice when we don't know what we are advising on...

Chris.......

rickasbury

Bravo three..did not have cable attached on shift plate so the jaws probably just pushed the cable in...I knew that drive went together to easy...so if I move the shifer all the way forward and back with no change then safe to assume it did not engage...dang...

achris

Bravo three..did not have cable attached on shift plate so the jaws probably just pushed the cable in...I knew that drive went together too easy...so if I move the shifer all the way forward and back with no change then safe to assume it did not engage...dang...

I'd say so....

rickasbury

And that's what it was...would have been a real easy fix and actually that was...I had not hooked up the exhaust bellows....I secrewed around with that for four hours....took it off one end and tried to attach. I swear the design of all the bellows and attaching them is rediculous . So, attatached to the transom, put zip ties around the diameter, put more xips ties on either side as ears so I could pull it on the Bell housing....then more zip ties to join the side across the Bell housing....now it can't come off...flip up the Bell housing and tighten the clamp and was done in 10 mins!

achris

And that's what it was...would have been a real easy fix and actually that was...I had not hooked up the exhaust bellows....I screwed around with that for four hours....took it off one end and tried to attach. I swear the design of all the bellows and attaching them is ridiculous . So, attached to the transom, put zip ties around the diameter, put more zips ties on either side as ears so I could pull it on the Bell housing....then more zip ties to join the side across the Bell housing....now it can't come off...flip up the Bell housing and tighten the clamp and was done in 10 mins!

Or you could have used the bellows installation tool. Buy it from Merc, or use the plans here on iboats, spend $3 and about 15 minutes and make your own... ;)

Chris.......

rickasbury

Hey, 10 minutes is 10 minutes....but will keep that in mind!

rickasbury

No, once I did the zip tie thing I was done in 10 mins....but that being said, where would I have found that, what section?

achris

In the stickies. Where there is GALLONS of information....

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.JPG Views:	1 Size:	131.8 KB ID:	10692210
Then here....

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	111.8 KB ID:	10692211
And finally, pick the one you want...

Click image for larger version  Name:	3.JPG Views:	1 Size:	47.5 KB ID:	10692212

Chris...