Bravo 1 OD bellows sealant?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I am completely going through my Bravo ODs and transom assemblies. Bellows look to be in good shape. However former owner's mechanic seems to have applied silicon blue sealant to the male OD part that compresses against the round part of the bellows. I my opinion, he should have sanded and repainted OD. Old paint on OD lifted and may have caused seal to leak. A quick fix may have been to add silicon, which he did. I have since sanded, primed and painted OD and also cleaned off crud and old silicon sealant from bellows. Is there a special (large) o ring to add that will aid in future sealing? All the indents to bellows caused by crud have raised. Attached is photos:

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Nothing is added when installing the drive, just the O rings for oil , water inlet, ,shifter
16755q1__60200.1469112947.1280.1280.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member
Don't tell anybody, but I always use white (rather than blue) silicone sealant around the rim of the bell housing. As you stated it makes up for any inconsistencies in the mating surfaces.

It is not wrong IMO, just not prescribed.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Don't tell anybody, but I always use white (rather than blue) silicone sealant around the rim of the bell housing. As you stated it makes up for any inconsistencies in the mating surfaces.

It is not wrong IMO, just not prescribed.
I got a bunch of white and clear. I'd hope for an O ring but I also suspected what u advised. THX!