Alpha gen 2 drive part

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,

Wondering if anyone could confirm the correct part number for a transom repair kit. Trying to get a hold of Mercury but havent been able to and i want to order the kit. Didnt know if it was the same for all Alpha out drives or not.

Here is the part and number i want to buy- 30-803099T 1 (is OEM)

Here is my out drive info-
Alpha GEN II
Alpha drive serial:0M406343

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
so the kit/part i supplied you are saying isnt a merc part#?? i reached out to the seller who is selling through walmartband he said that kit is OEM and not like sierra or another aftermarket

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
and my gimble seems to spin smoothly, therefore i guess i dont need to mess with it?

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
and it shows up at mercruiserparts.com...using no space in part num

harringtondav

Commander
kulle It's and OEM part. All Merc. components. I couldn't find it as 'available' on my three go-to marine sites. But I see it here at iBoats. You'll have good access to the gimbal bearing once you get the bellows off. But changing it can be difficult. You'll need a slide hammer puller, a special driver, and you may have to use an alignment tool to get your drive back on.

If you decide to keep your original gimbal bearing, give it a shot of grease (if it's greaseabe) until the new grease oozes at the bearing. You can purchase the three bellows kits, bell housing seal kit separately for <$100. Unless your raw water supply hose is compromised or distressed, I'd leave it alone. It's not easy removing it, and there is a risk of breaking the plastic hose barb connectors.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok, thanks for the info. i was aware of complexity and tools for the gimble. i guess my best bet is to inspect the bellows better, i only noticed a tear on the drive bellow. Not sure if you can replace just one bellow and seal without messing up the others? which is why i was leaning towards kit. i ripped my raw water pump apart and it was fine, but had to put on new gaskets then so i just replaced impeller anyway.

Bondo

Staff member
i only noticed a tear on the drive bellow. Not sure if you can replace just one bellow and seal without messing up the others?

Ayuh,..... If 1 bellows is shot, the others aren't far behind,....

The work is 'bout the same to change 1, as it is to change 'em all,.....

I'd also do the lower shift cable at the same time, so's ya don't have to do the job twice,.....

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
was kind of my thoughts too. plus i can get the OEM kit for less than $200, versus buying a bellow or 2 for probably close to $100. Again just trying to confirm 100% part 30-803099T1 REPAIR KT-TRANSOM is what i need.

thumpar

Admiral
You should use the alignment tool even if you don't replace the bearing. It is something that should be checked often.

Fun Times

Staff member
Again just trying to confirm 100% part 30-803099T1 REPAIR KT-TRANSOM is what i need.
Yes as long as you receive the kit that starts with 30-***, it will be 100% the kit you'd need for your Alpha Gen 2 stern drive as that is the OEM part number that starts with a 30-...

Mercruiser 30-803099T1 Alpha-1, GEN-II Transom Seal Kit 1991 to Present with Permalube Gimbal Bearing. Original equipment kit by Mercruiser. Includes U-Joint bellows, exhaust bellows, shift cable bellows, non-greasable gimbal bearing, 3/4"-ID water hose, all required stainless steel hose clamps, mounting gasket and all required Sterndrive mounting o'rings....
MERCURY MARINE

Brand
Replaces Sierra Marine:
18-8218 - Transom Seal Kit with Sealed Gimble Bearing.
18-8206-1 - Transom Seal Kit with Greaseable Gimble Bearing.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
i am reading in service manual about replacing trim sender/switch , it mentions disconnecting and reconnecting drive bellow to bell housing and not requiring adhesive. see highlight in photo. do you only apply adhesive on the transom side with clamp when replacing ?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 0

harringtondav

Commander
I don't have my manual in front of me, but I recommend bellows adhesive under any hose clamped joint. Both ends of the exhaust bellows, front, transom end of the drive shaft bellows. Shift cable bellows.

The rear, bell housing end of the drive shaft bellows doesn't require adhesive. The locking ring does the job.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok so the rear bell housing that locks into the bellows sleeve is the highlighted area in my photo right. thats what i was confirming doesnt need adhesive...thank you

achris

More fish than mountain goat
It is a non-current Merc. p/n, ...

??? Not sure why people are saying this part is 'non-current'... It's the transom re-seal kit for the CURRENT Alpha drive, the one they are still selling new... Also, I have checked several sites, and all show it as an 'active' part...

Also, there are no 'bellow'... Bellows is both singular and plural... Just saying. ;)

Additionally, no adhesive on the exhaust bellows or the shift cable bellows. The exhaust bellows doesn't need it because if it leak, so what, it's full of water anyway. The shift cable bellows is small enough that the hose clamp is guaranteed to seal it... Adhesive only on the forward end of the uni bellows. (forward being the end that attaches to the gimbal housing)...

This table of parts and part numbers may help you on which parts you need.... (Note, all parts are still currently active)

Click image for larger version  Name:	parts.JPG Views:	1 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	10689883

Chris............

Last edited:

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks mate.... that info helps. i ordered that kit,,OEM found it for $196! comes with items you noted in table...