Mercruiser 3.0 Intake/Exhaust Manifold Studs

AMMO DAWG

Petty Officer 1st Class
All, I'm putting together my 3.0 from a fresh rebuild and I thought I documented and photographed everything, but I missed the manifold. There are bolts and studs and it's been at the machine shop so long I can't recall the position of bolts versus studs with nuts. Looked in the old manual and not too much help there. If anyone can help with a photo, diagram or info I would greatly appreciate it. I have a thread where i'm partially restoring my Sea Ray, this engine is my first task, thanks in advance!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... What Vintage,..??..??

The 3.0l has gone through many incarnations over the years,.....

fishrdan

Admiral
How many manifold/head studs? If 2, I'm pretty sure they go on the ends of the manifold, to aid in the installation of the manifold. If you had to "bolt" on the manifold, it would be pretty cumbersome wrangling that heavy piece of cast iron...

My 73' 140HP has the studs on the end of the manifold, and I wondered why, until I installed it the first time.

AMMO DAWG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks, make sense, that manifold weighs a ton. I think maybe two go forward to also attach the bracket for the outdrive reservoir and the other goes aft. That puts the two bolts under the carb, thanks much for the suggestions/help!