QSD 2,8 220 HP - 3000 rpm limited / trim sender problem

Mauro Brisola

Seaman Apprentice
Trying to help a friend.

2010 QSD 2.8 with Bravo 3 X drive. Engine, drive, gimbal were removed to replace upper swivel shaft. After that there was some damage to 3 wire drive trim sender. After service trim gauge did not work well and engine limited to 3000 rpm when testing boat on water. No Smartcraft alarm.

Mechanic assembled a new 3 wire trim sender. PN 8M0107462. He tried several times to adjust/set sender. But up to now system does not work well. Despite drive trim works, the final course, when usually trim goes to final stop (indication above 10 on trim gauge), does not work. And engine speed limited to 3000 rpm.

I searched for some wiring diagram to discover where each of the 3 sender wires goes, But find nothing about in the Internet. Idea is to use a multimeter to undestand what's wrong with sender.

Another question is if in this case a trim sender problem could explain the engine speed limitation to 3000 rpm. There is some link between drive trim sender and engine control?

Thanks in advance.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Not familiar with that engine, but yes, there could easily be a trim/engine speed setting in the ECU. And you may not be able to use a simple multimeter to troubleshoot the the sender. I think those senders are an encoder, not a simple resistance. ie, they are digital. You'll probably need the Rinda software running on a laptop to be able to 'see' what's going on...

Chris.......

simon80

Recruit
Hello
I do not know if this loop is still alive, but I'm trying. I have exactly the same problem. Last winter, the were removed for renovation and when we then launched, the trim sensors rumbled and at the same time the engines were limited at 3000rpm.

2013, 2 QSD 320 with Bravo 3 drives. No smartcraft alarm. I have searched everywhere but no one can really help me. Before I found this loop that describes my problem exactly.

I wonder if you found a solution to the problem? Many thanks for all the help.

Please / Simon