A Safety tip on suspected hydro-locked motors, Mod, move as required

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
From a recent personal experience. Customer reported a click on his motor. Inspected everything and jumped starter solenoid and it did go crunch. Motor is Crusader FWC engine and manifold. I suspected a leaky elbow so I pulled all the plugs and took up my position between the motors in the bilge. Using a screwdriver to jump the starter solenoid and where I went wrong was thinking it was water. Now the ign systems coil was not disconnected and the plug wires were just hanging in the bilge.

Activating the starter covered me from my hip to my boots in gasoline from cylinders 4,6,8 gas also shot out of cylinder bores 1,3,5,7 . If it had ignited I , the owner, and the boat would not be here nor would I be writing this.
So, anytime you have a suspected hydro-lock never assume its from water. ALWAYS disconnect the power wires to the coil so a spark can never happen.

So after we cleaned up things I removed 7 1/5 gallons of gas from the port motor . There is no electric fuel pump and the motor was not in a run condition. A few weeks back the owner did have it running.So now I`m suspecting a syphon condition or a clogged vent line and a warmed fuel tank forced gas into the motor past the fuel pump and carb.

I believe this is the cause because the stbd motor that has been sitting for over a year with starter issues and a oil leak had 3 1/2 gallons of gas removed from its oil pan.
So be careful out there and not get yourself blown up or blown out of the water or otherwise get killed.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
great post and info, I always ground the high tension lead from the coil when cranking the engine over to do comp tests.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
That's :eek:

Great tip. Thanks BT, and you got lucky. ;)

Also, avoid using a screwdriver to short terminals. They create more sparks than any spark plug, use a remote starter switch... ;)

Chris.......

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
ditto on the remote starter switch, one of the best tools to have when I did my top end overhaul. I just left it hooked up the whole time from disassembly to after it was done to check the compression. No sparks!

remote starter and coil ground.jpg