470 poor starting after rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott06 View Post
    Did you verify the positive and negative battery cable condition? Good clean tight connections with no corrosion at either end? Connection between the end where it's crimped on the cable may be corroded
    hey Scott many thanks for the response. I was doing this in 40mph wind so did not do tests between post and terminals but all the terminals are new and free of corrosion.

to be clear about the rest, when I connected the meter to the positive post and positive starter post I got 12.5v that dropped to 2 volts while cranking.

on the negative side I got 0 volts when connected and 2 volts while cranking.

Comment

2 volts is too high. You have a bad/dirty connection somewhere.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
      1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
      2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
      (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

Originally posted by achris View Post
        2 volts is too high. You have a bad/dirty connection somewhere.
        thanks chris, I’ll test from police post to each terminal in the circuit step by step.

i will go battery to terminal then positive stud on the solenoid then to the other large stud then yellow cable terminal on splendour then to terminal on starter stud.

does that sound about right ?

Comment

Hmm another thought - could this be a bad earth ? The only earth is the negative lead from the battery to the starter neg post.

Comment

You're procedure sounds good, and you need to do it for both positive AND negative sides...

Comment

Ok been down to the boat and cleaned all connections related to the battery. Removed isolator and connected wires with a bolt.

volts from positive to starter now down from 12.5 to 0.6 when cranking.

from negative post on battery to starter I get 0v to 3v on cranking.

the motor doesn’t seem to labour like before but maybe I just haven’t cranked long enough.

seems like 0.6 is better than 2v befote

Comment

try a new cable

if any part of the cable is green, simply replace it.
                Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Thanks Scott I did cut and determinate the cables

Comment

Whoever said that whenever they had dart issues they trouble shoot the spark - thank you. You helped me solve the issue my boat has had for years.

Yesterday I went to the boat and I removed all the spark plugs only to find that they’ve all had an orange spark. I did all the usual things such as checking the gap cleaning the plug eliminating the high tension leads to no avail and I then decided to change the flamethrower coil for the original coil I once used on the boat five years ago the result was an ice blue that spark .

Thinking that I have found the problem I excitedly got the hose out I’ve put the maths on and try to start the engine but no it’s still would not start so I checked that the fuel pump was pumping to feel to the carburettor but there was no fuel. After making sure that the tank had fuel in it I proceeded to prime of the fuel pump with a priming bulb after which the boat started first turn of the engine .

after this the boat started flawlessly every time I will go back and doublecheck that this is still the case as soon as it stops raining over here .

I also managed to get my temperature sensor and gauge working by connecting the tandem wire to the second prong of the sender .

Things seem to be looking up

https://youtu.be/QVYz4Zm4eF0

Comment

Originally posted by Rake722 View Post

Thinking that I have found the problem I excitedly got the hose out I’ve put the maths on and try to start the engine but no it’s still would not start so I checked that the fuel pump was pumping to feel to the carburettor but there was no fuel.
                      I didn't know the 470 engine took math to get started. Which type does it need, simple arithmetic, alegbra, trigonometry?

Also, where do you plug into the harness to send the values?

Looks like spelling autocorrect on tablet/phone is trolling people on a regular basis.

Comment

Lol 😂 maths should have read Muffs. I guess we need an engineers glossary in autocorrect

Comment

Originally posted by Rake722 View Post
                          Lol 😂 maths should have read Muffs. I guess we need an engineers glossary in autocorrect
                          Autocarrot on foams can be a pine in the hind.

Chris...

Comment

Working...
                          X