Alpha 1 Gen 2 Lower Seals

hangdogger512

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am finishing up a full restoration on my 94 GW Invader Rivera, and am now working on replacing seals, water pump, etc in the drive unit (Alpha 1 Gen 2, standard rot). I have finished the upper housing work, now am moving to the lower gear housing.

I had planned on pulling the drive shaft/pinion assembly to get down to a empty foot, but am now questioning that... I have the bearing carrier nut tool and a puller, but have not bought a drive shaft retainer wrench or the pinion nut adapter yet. And from reading other posts, it seems like this process my be quite involved...

Is it worth buying those tools and pulling the drive shaft just to ensure everything is clean/sealed, and ready to go? There was some water getting into the drive oil last season, but I believe the upper seals should take care of that. Other than that, it has been just fine.

Thoughts?

harringtondav

Commander
The lower prop shaft housing is sealed at the prop shaft, the drive shaft, and the shift shaft. You don't need to remove the drive shaft/drive pinion or prop shaft assy to change these.

You will have to bend clear the prop shaft carrier lock tab, remove the retaining ring and pull the seal carrier to replace the two prop shaft seals and O ring. Under the water pump plate is the drive shaft seal carrier. This can be tough to remove. You can buy a new carrier with seals installed. The shift shaft seal is in also in a carrier that's easily removed. Its seal and O rings are in the seal kit. But that seal can also be tricky to pry our. New shift shaft seal carriers have the seal installed.

I'd recommend buying the 91-61069 retainer wrench for the prop shaft carrier. The reassembly torque spec is 210 ft lb. You can beat it off with a hammer and chisel, but it will be damaged, and you can't get that torque w/o the tool

You can rig up a carrier puller using a two jaw puller and some creativity. This link shows the 'official' process for your work. http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser14.html#/0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Unless you need to replace the shaft, pinion or the needle bearings, leave the drive shaft in place...

Chris...

hangdogger512

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, so still working on this... For the life of me, I can't get the carrier out. I got the retainer out, and rigged up a 2 jaw puller with chain and quick link instead of the puller arms, but it wont budge! Its actually bending the quick links open. I've tried penetrating fluid, and light heat on the case, but still no movement. Any other thoughts/tips?

harringtondav I may have to beef up my puller and build something like yours! Are the two allen bolts just for length adjustment?

harringtondav

Commander
Ok, so still working on this... For the life of me, I can't get the carrier out. I got the retainer out, and rigged up a 2 jaw puller with chain and quick link instead of the puller arms, but it wont budge! Its actually bending the quick links open. I've tried penetrating fluid, and light heat on the case, but still no movement. Any other thoughts/tips?

harringtondav I may have to beef up my puller and build something like yours! Are the two allen bolts just for length adjustment?

The top bar is an 'H' bar from a universal puller kit with its lead screw. Its jaws weren't long enough, so I made up the lower 'H' bar adapter to accept my slide hammer jaws. The screws are to provide reach. SHCS or long carriage bolts work.

A heat gun/paint stripper may be needed to soften the "Super Seal" (AKA Permatex Aviation Gasket)

Puller  Adapter.jpg

achris

You may need to be quite aggressive with the heat. It's not uncommon for the carrier to be tough to get out ...

Chris....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
a large rose bud with oxy/acet unless your an expert using a cutting head

achris

You need to heat in these locations, both sides. With the puller set up and loaded up, heat both sides, quickly.. Then load the puller again...

Chris.........

heatdrive.JPG