Trim Cylinder Pin / Shaft removal ?

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Ok so here is the problem

I have later rams with an early MC1 drive which has the shorter pin in the aft hole in the drive.

the cylinder bushing is too big to go on the drive pin so what can I do ?

one idea is to remove the shorter pin and replace with the later 10.5 inch pin but getting the pin out is a problem. Any ideas ? Tried a butane torch, hammer and block today and it ain’t budging.

i don’t want to cut and drill it out as I’ll ruin the drive.

another idea is to have a pair of small 1 inch extensions machines to make the existing pin longer so as to take the rams.

ideas welcome please

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
I would probably try heating the shaft repeatedly with an acetylene torch using caution not to melt the aluminum which will melt before getting red hot and be sure to use a block of wood or similar if you do any pounding on the shaft to ensure it does not mushroom -- Soaking with WD-40 or similar overnight or longer can help some also.

Always some risk of damage on bound up parts -- taking your time and being careful will help.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Being that old and probably never removed to service and grease it its almost an impossible task. Hammering will likely crack the housing so drill removal is recommended. Cut stud flush, accurately center punch it ans start drilling

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys.

i think I’m going to get the lathe our and make up a pair of internally and externally threaded extensions to screw on to the existing pin.

any reason why not ?

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Drilling a hard shaft out of soft aluminum is very hard to do // as in nearly impossible to drill by hand as the bit will want to enter the softer material.

As far as rod extensions -- it seems some risks are in the added parts coming loose and the redesigned shaft being strong enough for the task under a load -- but it does seem that it is worth considering & trying.

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
ive had this issue many times.. try drilling 2-3 small holes thru the alu down onto the stainless bar and fill it with penetrating oil.. can always epoxy steel the holes closed afterwards.. that with a torch ( i would be careful with o/a - maybe propane or butane torch.. before u start vaporizing the alu-)