It worked before the hurricane

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
The outdrive on my 1985 Galaxy worked fine right before Hurricane Florence came to town. I've had the boat stored at a friend's house on the mainland since mid-September to weather the storm and wasn't able to get it until yesterday due to higher priorities (house repairs, etc).

So it sat out in a yard uncovered for all that time and endured four days of hurricane force winds and torrential rain. When I finally went to collect it yesterday, I discovered the sterndrive will lower but doesn't do anything when I try to raise it up again.

I have made sure the battery would take a charge and did in fact get it to take full charge, so I know the battery has the oomph. The engine cover was intact and there was no debris or evidence of water inside the engine compartment. Anybody have any ideas where to start looking?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Do you hear a click when you press the UP button? If so, start with the solenoid, if no, then check for power at the solenoid (low current side). If power, replace the solenoid, if no power, start looking at the trim buttons, or the trim limit switch (does the 'trailer' button work?)...

Chris.......

thumpar

Admiral
Along with the above check to make sure all the power connections are clean. Make sure you are using the trailer up and not the trim up. The trim limit switch could be faulty but the trailer up bypasses that.

jayhanig

My boat doesn't have discrete trim/trailering buttons. The switches failed long before I got the boat and my guy recommended just fixing the trailer button. I trim with it as well as raise and lower the outdrive with it. I have two sets of switches, one on the control panel/dashboard and the other added later that is accessible from the back of the boat so I can raise and lower the outdrive in a parking lot without having to be in the boat at all.

Today, while I was cleaning out the leaves and acorns, I tried the switches on the dash. Just like the back switches, I can lower the outdrive but cannot raise it. No click, nothing... when I try to raise it.

wahlejim

Personally, after being out in a hurricane and Florida Weather, uncovered for 3 months, I would be going through all electrical connections and cleaning them to shiny metal. Moisture is a nightmare for electrical and I would want to get a baseline of where I am at. Given the circumstances, that is the most likely cause right now. After they are cleaned, I would go through and check for power at the up solenoid. If there is power there and you don't hear a click, change out the solenoid. If there is not power there, trace the wire back until there is power and you will find the problem.