Trim pump start up

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So...hopefully coming to the end of my engine re install...which is in and everything seems to power up, started motor but have a leak in my steering cooler which is a whole other thread....so last things on my list are to fix the cooler and get the trim rams hooked back up and put the props on . Then I'm in the water after two years!

So out drive went back on very easily after wrestling with the engine alignment. Absolutely slide right on, did not even need to rotate the out drive to agling the splines. If I did not know better, I'd say I missed the coupler, it went on so easy!

So, trim cylinders...when I took the drive off I was trimmed up a little. Going back on the rams seem to not be at the same length anymore so I needed to firm up the trim- have one ram installed partially and thought it would be a simple hit of the switch and then them close, one with weight on it and one without..anyway not the point. The trim does not operate, it worked fine before. So, thinking maybe the limit switch was not is a good position I made sure the marks were aligned and on the position sensor also. Zip. I checked with my multimeter the power and ground at the pump- 13V so I'm good at least there. Since I have power there, does that rule out the switch at the helm? So, any suggestions? I was going to jump the solenoid to see if the pump would run, just not sure what that will tell me and do not want to do that without careful instruction. Don't need to burn up a pump and my electrical is very limited at best!

Also, looking around....see this one wire not hooked up to anything, don't see anywhere to plug it in...also, notice on my plug wires a plug in with nothing pluged into it, assume it is for something else. I really did not take any thing loose on the motor it self when I pulled it.....you know, other than the out drive fluid line and minor things like that... WP_20181201_10_35_29_Pro.jpgWP_20181201_10_30_37_Pro.jpg

rickasbury

ok, so I'm a real dumb ass I would not admit it but I still have a problem. I have a hot and ground to the pump and have power- I don't have any wires from the helm switch to the pump and confirm looking at the wiring diagram and what should have been painfully obvious there should be! So, I am looking everywhere...does it come from the main harness by the pump? I have a wad of wires going from the engine compartment. Don't see any other stray wiring and I don't see any wire with a plug coming out of that harness...I don't see anything coming from the motor and would not expect to....where is that harness????

rickasbury

OH, and for those following my power steering cooler here it is out with a good look at what someone did to it! WP_20181201_12_55_18_Pro.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your power steering cooler is simply glorified pipe fittings (seriously, nibco pipe fittings that have been modified).

get rid of the goober repair, hit it with a wire brush, then use some acid core solder

rickasbury

there is just nothing to soder and the one hose from the pump was all twisted....PO POS! He tinkered a lot...the windlass was not working when I bought it...he was taking the motor apart up front but gave up...I found a lose connection on the switch at the helm.....who knows how the guber messed this one up! I found the wire...it was at the end of the loom on one of the trim sensor wires.....duh

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Trust me, the button is soldered to the housing ,
Left a message

rickasbury

I get that- you might well be able to do it and do a fine job- I don't trust anyone around here to do it without the concern it fails and I have to buy the part anyway. Also, I need to have it done by the end of the week.i drew a line in the sans that I would bot put it back to storage until it was done. I have not mowed my yard in a month! Not the first Christmas light up yet!