Merc inboard 454 GenVI flywheel issue?

Redhook98

Seaman Apprentice
Good morning all! I had my port motor in my 38-ft carver blow back in July. Ordered a rebuilt GenIV, but they ended up sending me a Service Replacement (Gen VI with fuel pump boss). The flywheel and harmonic balancer are not the same. have a brand new balancer on the way, but been struggling with the flywheel. Finally bought one off of Ebay for a GenV/VI and it arrived yesterday. Just occurred to me that it is most likely for a sterndrive though. Part number is 10101171. I have heard of people removing the 168-tooth ring, heating it and installing on the other side of the flywheel. How difficult is this? Is a 10101171 for a sterndrive? Or inboard? Hard to find info. Thanks!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Got a serial number for that engine? Or even a year?

Redhook98

Seaman Apprentice
Got a serial number for that engine? Or even a year?

Sadly, no. Could not find a serial number anywhere on it. It is a "Gen S" is all I know. 6-bolt front timing cover, 1 piece rear seal. Can't find a serial number anywhere on it. All I have to go on is it for sure is it is based off a Gen VI, thus the need for a GenV/VI flywheel.

The company I bought from out of CA was supposed to send me a Gen IV. Got this one, with no info instead.

kenny nunez

Captain
Switching the ring gear is no problem. Heat or a brass punch and a good hammer will do the job.. It will be a good idea to get a new ring gear to install on the other side of the flywheel. NAPA usually has them. Since you have a heat source it will be easy for you to mount the replacement gear.

Redhook98

Seaman Apprentice
So it is just simply moving the ring gear from front to the back of the flywheel?

kenny nunez

Captain
That is correct but be sure to get a new gear. The last thing you want is a slipping or split ring gear they do not cost very much.

alldodge

Staff member
Sadly, no. Could not find a serial number anywhere on it.

Look on the rear deck of the block below the distributor for a casting number

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use your old flywheel

gen V and VI engines use the same flywheel balance (external) and are both 1-piece RMS cranks.

sterndrive flywheel is just a GM truck flywheel

Inboard flywheel is a Mercruiser (or other marine engine supplier) special. It does not come from GM.

Redhook98

Seaman Apprentice
My old flywheel is from a Gen IV (4). Not compatible with a Gen V/VI. (5/6). Different weight differential in the flywheel and harmonic balancer (from what I was told)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
balance is different, however a good automotive machine shop that does balancing could re-balance your Mark 4 to a Gen V/VI

Redhook98

Seaman Apprentice
How about the harmonic balancers? The one I bought new was for a Gen V. I thought they were the same as well. I believe it is too deep by 1/8th inch.

Redhook98

Seaman Apprentice
Merc Harmonic Balancer difference Gen V and Gen VI?

Having solved my flywheel issues by buying a new Gen V/VI unit, I now move on to the Harmonic Balancer. I thought Gen V and Gen VI were the same there as well. I found a brand new Gen V balancer, but it seems to be 1/8 inch to long (crand is 1/8 inch recessed to far into balancer bore. Can I just have 1/8th inch machined off the back of the balancer? Or is the difference in depth made up somewhere else?