::stumped:: having issues with mercontrol - cables not working properly

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have the official mercruiser parts book and have it setup correct with part numbers matching.. fyi unknown if it was working properly before..

Manual shows one cam roller pin for each side, but this unit came with one roller on the gear shift side and 2 (shown) on the throttle side??

Do these controls have one each side - or mixed bag like this, or 2 each side?

Fyi this is a stbd mounted control box- when i have it together it tends to bind up, and it doesnt seem to shift both ways OR apply throttle both ways either.. all plastic bushings are in place

If someone can @ least clear up the roller pin/cam thing i can keep messing with it :p

Attachments

• photo304991.jpg
    photo304991.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304992.jpg
    photo304992.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304993.jpg
    photo304993.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I'm assuming a panel mount control. But you need to find the exact part number of the control (and unless it's written on the box, almost impossible). Some do have 2 rollers. The main issue with those controls is people tying the cables up too close to the control. As you move the lever, the cables change their angle into the box, and if that cable movement is restricted, they can't work properly. You need to leave AT LEAST 1 metre of the cable that comes out free before tying it in. Even then, allow the cable to move....

Chris.......

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi chris thanks, yeah the part numbers match exactly to the book.. the cables ran very straight out the back and I have new ones in there anyway.. its an analogue system and im sure ill figure it out but the manual doesnt show EXACTLY where the pins are supposed to be.. the two plates that the cables go into are identical and look like a generic part used on different styles, as a result there are 4 holes where the roller cams can go..

sat with it for 2 hours and just cant seem to "see" exactly how the cams operate -

thanks again - so glad my wife found this mercruiser parts book by pure accident! its about 8" thick and VERY helpful (well mostly!)