sudden seize up of my 1985 Mercruiser 5.7L (GM 350) with Alpha 1 Gen 1 sterndrive

Jim's 470

Recruit
I have been nursing my 1985 Sea Ray through the trials of advancing age (both me and the Boat) and have recently experienced a strange seizing of the engine. The problem started about a month ago when the engine suddenly died with a coughing sound that I could not identify as either backfire or post ignition in the exhaust but definitely burning in the wrong place. The engine restarted quickly and thinking that it was maybe a bit of water in the gas, I replaced the water separator and added some dry gas to the tank and it was fine for some time. The incident repeated after a couple of weeks so I returned immediately to my dock and made arrangements to take it out of the water for the season.

As I started it up to get it on the trailer the engine started to die and it backfired through the Carburetor and died. When I tried to restart it the engine seized and would no longer turn over. I rather assumed that either I dropped a valve or broke the timing chain and jammed a piston into a valve. I removed the covers and found the valves seemingly in good order; no dropped valve, no broken valve spring, stuck valve, loose pushrod (which might indicate a collapsed lifter or bent pushrod) and no other obvious valve train problem.

I then removed the front cover and found a significant slack in the timing chain. I removed the exhaust manifolds and then the spark plugs which all seemed in good shape. When I removed the plugs in cylinders 1 and 2 several ounces of what I think was water drained from each cylinder. I turned the engine over several times to observe valve action; which appeared normal at that time. In preparing to replace the timing chain I tried to turn the engine to align the camshaft timing dot with the crankshaft dot and it would no longer advance and is now still seized.

I had planned my next move to remove and inspect the heads for an eyeball examination of the pistons to assess any damage that might seize the engine but I had a thought that stopped the tear down. I see no apparent reason for the seizure in the top or front of the engine and therefore wonder if there is a possibility that the Alpha 1 stern drive might be itself seized and not allowing the engine to turn over. I have not yet checked the gear oil in the drive nor have I removed it but I think that is my next move.

Any insight into possible causes of this problem will be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Jim

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Water in cylinder is classic failed exhaust manifolds

Check all the cylinders

Pull the drive to make sure it isnt the drive that failed

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
bummer.. timing chain slack is kinda normal in older motors. in my opinion most of the time seized motors are from the rings rusting onto the cylinder walls.. i would get a breaker bar onto the damper (not the nut!).. spray some atf or pb blaster into all cylinders (aim up towards the carb if possible) to get the upper section of the rings and try again.

Remove drive - i have had a seized drive stop the motor but usually they are worse when hot.. since u were turning it before i suspect salt water on the rings..

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Have you any evidence of water in the oil? If so, then, yeah, classic exhaust elbow/gasket failure. When were the elbows last pulled and checked? You should have centre riser elbows, but the older 3"... If the manifolds haven't been changed in a while, might be worth considering a complete change to dry-joints....

Slack timing chain is 'normal' for those engines. The spec is "3/8" (10mm) from taut position, 3/4" (19mm) in total"....

Chris........

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’d be pretty certain it’s caused by the manifold and or riser rotting and letting water in through the exhaust. You’ve described the classic symptoms.

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you can't wiggle the crank either way, it's crankshaft related. If the cranks turns SLIGHTLY either way, it's top end somewhere.

Jim's 470

Recruit
Thanks all for the suggestions. since the problem occurred fist at running speed salt water is probably not the cause. I have pulled the hearers and find no problem there; gaskets still solid. If it is the crank, maybe that is a "toss in" for this old lady. I will keep the forum advised as I make progress but the weather has turned and maybe that will be a while.

Thanks again, any more will be appreciated. Jim the cadet!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks all for the suggestions. since the problem occurred fist at running speed salt water is probably not the cause. I have pulled the hearers and find no problem there; gaskets still solid. If it is the crank, maybe that is a "toss in" for this old lady. I will keep the forum advised as I make progress but the weather has turned and maybe that will be a while.

Thanks again, any more will be appreciated. Jim the cadet!

Hi. You’ll likely know this, but it’s not really the baskets that are the main cause of this here. It’s the actual internals of the exhaust and risers rotting which cause the ingress. If they are really bad they will cause the engine to miss when running. If they are just a little rotten they will cause low tick over rpm and or stalling and water ingress after engine stopped. When you go to start again, she will lock up most times.

Could be from elsewhere, but just thought I’d say. It’s not often totally obvious unless you can look inside the riser or exhaust. Another indication is often suit evident on the exhaust unit water/winterise drain plug

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The outdrive splined shaft slides into a splined hub. There's always a slight bit of play. Even an 1/8th" movement of the crank is enough to eliminate the bottom end. I'm in the jammed starter camp.

Bondo

Staff member
The outdrive splined shaft slides into a splined hub. There's always a slight bit of play. Even an 1/8th" movement of the crank is enough to eliminate the bottom end. I'm in the jammed starter camp.

Ayuh,.... That play would be measured in 1000ths of an inch, rather than fractional,.....

Pull the drive 1st,.....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Ayuh,.... That play would be measured in 1000ths of an inch, rather than fractional,.....

Pull the drive 1st,.....

Agreed. Pulling a drive is a 5 minute job. And stops all this guessing.

Chris.......