470 drive won’t go on - engine alignment ?

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Today I tried to fit the out drive back on bell housing after replacing my engine with another.

The drive would not go all the way home and was an inch also from meeting with the gasket surface.

I tried to remove and reinstall the drive and number of times only to encounter the same problem .

Ithen got inside the boat and had an assistant insert and remove the alignment tool while I checked how far it was entering the engine coupler and it was only going in a cm or so

it then occurred to me thatthe alignment of the engine may be to blame for what I was experiencing .

I inserted the engine alignment tool once again and found that there were no spline witness marks at all on the end of the shaft further confirming that the tool was not being inserted fully into the coupling.

does this sound like a good reason the drive would not make the last inch or two ?

i have a pic of the show mark on the tool from the outer edge of the gimbal bearing but can’t resize it to attach on an iPhone

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Ivw now uploaded the image showing the grease mark from the outer edge of the gimble bearing - does that show that it is not going all the way in due to an alignment issue ?

Attachments

• photo304890.jpg
    photo304890.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Get a torch and have a look inside the bellows at the couple. Does it look right? If so, then you may need to 'set' the gimbal bearing (put the alignment bar in and give the handle end some whacks with your hand top, bottom, left, right)...

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Chris, I did look and the coupler and it looked a little high in relation to the gimble.

ill try as you suggest tomorrow.

i didn’t change the front mount setting when replacing the engine thinking that I’d keep the alignment but I guess I was wrong.

i have one more day before the bad weather sets in so I hope I get this sorted.

failing the gimble trick I guess I will have to use the conventional alignment procedure on the front mount ?

thanks again

Ron

thumpar

Admiral
You need to check alignment even when an engine doesn't get pulled. Go through the procedure.

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Fiat comment Chris, I’ve had the old drive out many times and never an issue refitting so something has changed.

tome to find out what and get my engine alignment wings.

will post result tomorrow

thanks again

Last edited:

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
alignment complete - drive unit fitted.
No big dramas, quite an easy operation.

Thank you Chris !
​​​​​​​